Wireless Access

last person joined: 20 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

AMP alerts an AP reboot when it only failed over to different MD

This thread has been viewed 8 times
  • 1.  AMP alerts an AP reboot when it only failed over to different MD

MVP
    Posted Jan 03, 2020 03:05 PM

I have two MDs clustered and they share the load of my APs. Some terminate to MD1 and establish backup to MD2, and vice versa.

If I reboot MD2, the APs that were terminating there fail-over to MD1 - as designed. The AP doesnt go down, it just resorts to its backup tunnel to its backup controller (as I understand it, at least). The AP doesnt reboot.

However, AMP alerts me that the AP has rebooted (well, it alerts me for all APs that were attached to the MD I rebooted). For example...

When I view the SYSTEM STATUS for one of these APs, I see the following under Cluster Failover Information:

Date Time Reason (Latest 10)
    2020-01-03 12:00:10 Delete A-AAC:128.198.8.55, cluster enabled=1. fail-over to 128.198.8.53, sby status=1
    2020-01-03 12:06:48 AP move to S-AAC fail-over to 128.198.8.55, sby status=1

There is nothing under reboot or rebootstraps for todays date. Only fail-over information with todays date.

In AMP, if I view the Alerts and Events tab for the AP, I see this:

TIME	USER	EVENT
    Fri Jan 3 12:15:53 2020	System	Status changed to 'OK'
    Fri Jan 3 12:15:53 2020	System	Up
    Fri Jan 3 12:08:13 2020	System	Status changed to 'Controller is Down'
    Fri Jan 3 12:08:13 2020	System	Down
    Fri Jan 3 12:08:13 2020	System	Device Down: Device: lapl-515-W01: Device Type is Access Point (Warning)
    Fri Jan 3 12:06:52 2020	System	AP's associated controller is changed from mc1 to mc2
    Fri Jan 3 12:04:45 2020	System	AP's associated controller is changed from mc2 to mc1

Yet if I look at the APs device detail page, it still shows an uptime of 52 days (and not a time insinuating it just rebooted)

I guess my question is - why does AMP think the AP goes "DOWN" and reboots, when it is merely changing controllers. What happens is I am getting flooded with "down AP" email alerts, when these APs never really went down, but only changed controllers.

• 2.  RE: AMP alerts an AP reboot when it only failed over to different MD

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 06, 2020 12:53 PM

When the AP move from one controller to another, on Airwave the AP will be marked down when it misses the poll from 1 controller and till it see the AP on next controller.
    In your trigger definition do we have any minutes down threshold condition set? If not we can add a condition like AP down for more than 5 minutes send me an alert.

• 3.  RE: AMP alerts an AP reboot when it only failed over to different MD

MVP
    Posted Jan 06, 2020 12:58 PM

I will try adding the "minutes down threshold" - sounds like that should work. Thanks for the help!

• 4.  RE: AMP alerts an AP reboot when it only failed over to different MD

Posted Apr 27, 2021 01:44 PM
    I'm having a similar issue. Is it possible for me to get a more specific alert than "AP Down". In my case I would like to have an alert indicating that it's a "Cluster Failover" instead of "AP Down".