Wireless Access

Highlighted
Contributor II

AMP alerts an AP reboot when it only failed over to different MD

I have two MDs clustered and they share the load of my APs. Some terminate to MD1 and establish backup to MD2, and vice versa.

If I reboot MD2, the APs that were terminating there fail-over to MD1 - as designed. The AP doesnt go down, it just resorts to its backup tunnel to its backup controller (as I understand it, at least). The AP doesnt reboot.

However, AMP alerts me that the AP has rebooted (well, it alerts me for all APs that were attached to the MD I rebooted). For example...

When I view the SYSTEM STATUS for one of these APs, I see the following under Cluster Failover Information:

Date Time Reason (Latest 10)
2020-01-03 12:00:10 Delete A-AAC:128.198.8.55, cluster enabled=1. fail-over to 128.198.8.53, sby status=1
2020-01-03 12:06:48 AP move to S-AAC fail-over to 128.198.8.55, sby status=1

There is nothing under reboot or rebootstraps for todays date. Only fail-over information with todays date.

In AMP, if I view the Alerts and Events tab for the AP, I see this:

TIME	USER	EVENT
Fri Jan 3 12:15:53 2020	System	Status changed to 'OK'
Fri Jan 3 12:15:53 2020	System	Up
Fri Jan 3 12:08:13 2020	System	Status changed to 'Controller is Down'
Fri Jan 3 12:08:13 2020	System	Down
Fri Jan 3 12:08:13 2020	System	Device Down: Device: lapl-515-W01: Device Type is Access Point (Warning)
Fri Jan 3 12:06:52 2020	System	AP's associated controller is changed from mc1 to mc2
Fri Jan 3 12:04:45 2020	System	AP's associated controller is changed from mc2 to mc1

Yet if I look at the APs device detail page, it still shows an uptime of 52 days (and not a time insinuating it just rebooted)

I guess my question is - why does AMP think the AP goes "DOWN" and reboots, when it is merely changing controllers. What happens is I am getting flooded with "down AP" email alerts, when these APs never really went down, but only changed controllers.

Highlighted

Re: AMP alerts an AP reboot when it only failed over to different MD

When the AP move from one controller to another, on Airwave the AP will be marked down when it misses the poll from 1 controller and till it see the AP on next controller.
In your trigger definition do we have any minutes down threshold condition set? If not we can add a condition like AP down for more than 5 minutes send me an alert.

Regards,
Vishnu
If my post helped you, don't forget to give kudos ;)
Highlighted
Contributor II

Re: AMP alerts an AP reboot when it only failed over to different MD

I will try adding the "minutes down threshold" - sounds like that should work. Thanks for the help!

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: