Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

AOS 8.3.0.7 becomes to CR 3 weeks after it is released, is it possible?

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  AOS 8.3.0.7 becomes to CR 3 weeks after it is released, is it possible?

Posted Jul 04, 2019 11:18 AM

Hi All,

Previously, I had a lot of problems with 8.3.x Standard Releases, so I used 8.2.x Conservative Releases.

However I must install 8.3.x at one of our customer a few weeks ago because there were AP345 types in the network. I chose the version 8.3.0.1, the more it was the least known bug in the Release Note.

Unfortunately, the customer ran into a problem. After debugging, we could see a known bug that was listed as a resolved issue in 8.3.0.1 Release Notes.

It seems the fix is not perfect, so I want to upgrade the system, and I do not know that we dare to install the 8.3.0.7 version. 8.3.0.7 Release Notes contains 16 pages of known issues, so I have doubt about it.

What do you think about this "early" Conservative Release?

Thanks!

• 2.  RE: AOS 8.3.0.7 becomes to CR 3 weeks after it is released, is it possible?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 04, 2019 12:22 PM

If your customer observed a bug that is fixed in 8.3.0.1, I hope you reported it, so it can get fixed.

Also, I assume you also have read the article here?  https://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Wireless-Access/Updates-to-Aruba-Release-Naming-Replacing-ED-and-GA/td-p/279651

• 3.  RE: AOS 8.3.0.7 becomes to CR 3 weeks after it is released, is it possible?

Posted Jul 04, 2019 06:48 PM

Not yet, it is a fresh story. Where can I report it, should I open a TAC case?

I know that article about releases, that's why I'm worried: Releases will typically take ~3-6 months to earn the Conservative tag.

8.3.0.7 becomes CR in less than a month... (with 16 pages of known issues)

• 4.  RE: AOS 8.3.0.7 becomes to CR 3 weeks after it is released, is it possible?

Posted Jul 05, 2019 02:57 AM

What I had understood from our SE is that train bugreleases, like 8.3.0.6, 8.3.0.7 etc. will only contain bug fixes and that ones engineering/support feel a release is stable for production it will marked as CR candidate. 

So the way I look at it is that 8.3 has been released since 29/06/2018 and the CR has been released on 24/05/2019, which is 11 months after the original train release. 

I'm not part of HPE/Aruba so perhaps an internal / PLM can explain it better or add some nuance. 

• 5.  RE: AOS 8.3.0.7 becomes to CR 3 weeks after it is released, is it possible?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 05, 2019 09:55 AM

@SkiP wrote:

Not yet, it is a fresh story. Where can I report it, should I open a TAC case?

I know that article about releases, that's why I'm worried: Releases will typically take ~3-6 months to earn the Conservative tag.

8.3.0.7 becomes CR in less than a month... (with 16 pages of known issues)

It doesn't get fixed unless it is reported, replicated in-house and then patched.  You should open a TAC case and report it.

The post above explains why it is not less than a month.