Wireless Access

last person joined: 23 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

AOS 8.3 Controller Configuration State UNK

This thread has been viewed 17 times
  • 1.  AOS 8.3 Controller Configuration State UNK

Posted Oct 24, 2018 02:45 PM

We have 4 (3 7220's and 1 7210) of our 10 controllers showing as unknown while running show switches from the MM. See below:

unk.PNG

The controllers show a status of up, and I can SSH or access them via web manager.

Tried rebooting the MM, rebooting one of the affected controllers, and tried manually adding them to a configuration node via command: 

configuration device <MAC-ADDRESS> device-model <MODEL> <CONFIG-PATH>

It fails stating the device addition failed as the max limit has been reached.

If I try removing a controller from the MM it states the device cannot be found. 

The MM is virtual and was moved to a new cluster which seemed be the beginning of these problems.

I have a TAC case open, and it looks like the passphrase had changed on the MM, so we reassigned all the licenses to this new passphrase, but that didn't seem to resolve any issues.

Only article i could find related to status unknown was this one:

https://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Controller-Based-WLANs/Why-do-we-see-the-Configuration-State-of-a-controller-as-quot/ta-p/292441

That didnt seem to work in my case. Any ideas?

Thanks!

• 2.  RE: AOS 8.3 Controller Configuration State UNK

Posted Oct 24, 2018 05:29 PM
    Do you get the same error when you try to add the device via the GUI?

Are you using any Aps that require 8.3? if the answer is no then I recommended to downgrading to 8.2.1.1

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

• 3.  RE: AOS 8.3 Controller Configuration State UNK

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 29, 2018 01:58 PM

On your MM, what is the output from:

show inventory

• 4.  RE: AOS 8.3 Controller Configuration State UNK
    Best Answer

Posted Oct 30, 2018 09:40 AM

Update on this -- when the MM VA was moved it got a new passphrase so it lost all of it's licensing. The other thing was when it was moved it was resized to a lower spec... so those two things limited the amount of controllers that could be licensed.

The fix was to size the VM appropriately for MM-VA-1K, reapply all the licenses, and remove and re-add the unknown controllers.