Wireless Access

last person joined: 14 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

AOS6 to AOS8 migration process

This thread has been viewed 14 times
  • 1.  AOS6 to AOS8 migration process

Posted Feb 27, 2020 08:51 AM

I went through a couple of articles to learn more about migration, and as far as I understand manual migration is preferred over the migration tool.  but the caveat that I have with the manual migration is the requirement of getting console access to the controller after upgrading it to AOS8 and go through the dialogue box. However, with the migration tool, things are seamless, and access to the migrated controllers will be re-established.

allow me first to give you an overview of my case.

Current network AOS6

- 1x Master controller and 10 geographic sites with 2x local controller (LMS/LMS B) in each site. 

- config is all about, 1x employee SSID with dot1x auth, 1x guest SSID with CPPM captive portal (+ CoA for re-auth intervals), a signed radius certificate, tacacs+ for admin access ...etc. 

That been said, I'm thinking right now to go with the migration tool option as it's seamless and not require console access to the controller after migration. what do you think guys? Does anyone have the same experience?

finally, what is the most stable version AOS8 to migrate to?   

• 2.  RE: AOS6 to AOS8 migration process

MVP GURU
    Posted Feb 27, 2020 09:00 AM

And as for the Aruba OS, I would go with 8.5.0.5.

• 3.  RE: AOS6 to AOS8 migration process

Posted Feb 27, 2020 11:59 AM

Hello dustin, 

Thanks for the feedback, 

Activate is a good idea, but it will require some additional setup to have internet after the AOS8 upgrade, 

so as far as I understand, you're suggesting a manual upgrade instead of the Migration tool, right? 

• 4.  RE: AOS6 to AOS8 migration process
    Best Answer

MVP GURU
    Posted Feb 27, 2020 12:27 PM

Yes. I have run into issues with the upgrade tool in the past. If at all feasible, I would do the upgrade manually. Get MM up, get a controller connected to test the environment with, and then use Activate or a remote set of hands to get Controllers added at the remote sites.

• 5.  RE: AOS6 to AOS8 migration process

Posted Feb 27, 2020 04:40 PM

Thank you! I will go with Manual Migration (y)

• 6.  RE: AOS6 to AOS8 migration process

MVP GURU
    Posted Feb 27, 2020 09:00 AM

You could upgrade the Controllers at the remote sites, and use Aruba Activate to point the upgraded controllers to the Mobility Masters. The last port on the controller will boot up and use DHCP to get an address. If the Network that the port is in can reach the internet and Aruba Activate, you can then create a rule for your controllers to contact the MM with the appropriate shared secrets, IP, etc...

This way you will not need console access upon booting up for the first time after the upgrade.