Wireless Access

last person joined: 17 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

AOS8.4 MM and Cluster / APs never come online when moved to new cluster member (VC)

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  AOS8.4 MM and Cluster / APs never come online when moved to new cluster member (VC)

Posted Nov 01, 2019 04:59 PM

I have a cluster, I built and added a third controller but when I add the controller to the cluster aps move to it but never come up. With in 10 minutes they move back to the original controller they were on.

During this, I never see clients connect and pass traffic on an ap that moved to the new controller.

I have even manually moved an ap to this controller without it being in the cluster. Same behavior, moves over, never shows an "up" status until it moves back to one of my original two controllers.

Any help appreciated!

Thanks

• 2.  RE: AOS8.4 MM and Cluster / APs never come online when moved to new cluster member (VC)

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 01, 2019 05:21 PM

Have you executed any of the "show lc-cluster" commands  on the MD to see if that MD fully joined the cluster?

• 3.  RE: AOS8.4 MM and Cluster / APs never come online when moved to new cluster member (VC)

Posted Nov 01, 2019 06:17 PM

Yes, that is what is stumping me... Please see below

(homearmc01) [MDC] *#show lc-cluster group-membership

Cluster Enabled, Profile Name = "Home-Cluster"
    Redundancy Mode On
    Active Client Rebalance Threshold = 50%
    Standby Client Rebalance Threshold = 75%
    Unbalance Threshold = 5%
    AP Load Balancing: Enabled
    Active AP Rebalance Threshold = 50%
    Active AP Unbalance Threshold = 5%
    Active AP Rebalance AP Count = 30
    Active AP Rebalance Timer = 1 minutes
    Cluster Info Table
    ------------------
    Type IPv4 Address Priority Connection-Type STATUS
    ---- --------------- -------- --------------- ------
    peer 10.17.1.18 128 L2-Connected CONNECTED (Member, last HBT_RSP 27ms ago, RTD = 0.978 ms)
    self 10.17.1.19 128 N/A CONNECTED (Member)
    peer 10.17.1.20 128 L2-Connected CONNECTED (Leader, last HBT_RSP 87ms ago, RTD = 1.024 ms)
    (homearmc01) [MDC] *#show lc-cluster vlan-probe
    status Cluster VLAN Probe Status

(homearmc01) [MDC] *#show lc-cluster vlan-probe stat

Cluster VLAN Probe Status
    -------------------------
    Type IPv4 Address REQ-SENT REQ-FAIL ACK-SENT ACK-FAIL REQ-RCVD ACK-RCVD VLAN_FAIL CONN-TYPE START/STOP
    ---- --------------- -------- -------- -------- -------- -------- -------- --------- --------- ----------
    peer 10.17.1.18 30 0 29 0 29 30 0 L2 Conn 0/ 0
    peer 10.17.1.20 1 0 2 0 2 1 0 L2 Conn 0/ 0
    (homearmc01) [MDC] *#

• 4.  RE: AOS8.4 MM and Cluster / APs never come online when moved to new cluster member (VC)

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 01, 2019 08:49 PM

Do the access points in that AP group have an LMS-IP?

• 5.  RE: AOS8.4 MM and Cluster / APs never come online when moved to new cluster member (VC)

Posted Nov 01, 2019 10:03 PM
      |   view attached

Yes, each controller in the cluster including the new one has a primary/backup LMS IP and it is pingable from the new controller via cli. See pic.

I keep thinking there must be something still needing manually configured that would not normally sync once joined to the cluster.... Not finding anything yet.

• 6.  RE: AOS8.4 MM and Cluster / APs never come online when moved to new cluster member (VC)

Posted Nov 01, 2019 10:32 PM

I just noticed in the MM dashboard it is not showing any uplink information on the new controller. Everything in the GUI looks to match the other controllers including interfaces, vlans... etc. I have confirmed the vm is configured the same as the other controllers in vsphere. Screen Shot 2019-11-01 at 10.29.23 PM.png

• 7.  RE: AOS8.4 MM and Cluster / APs never come online when moved to new cluster member (VC)

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 02, 2019 06:32 AM

If you have a single cluster, you don't need a primary or backup LMS.  You should remove those ip addresses.  Access points, when they find a cluster automatically download all the ip addresses of the controllers in the nodelist.

The WAN uplink does not come into play in this scenario.

Did you add the Controller to the cluster in both the Cluster configuration and at the MD level of the controller?

• 8.  RE: AOS8.4 MM and Cluster / APs never come online when moved to new cluster member (VC)

Posted Nov 02, 2019 09:06 AM

Okay, I will remove the LMS IPs. Is it having a negative impact having them at the moment? Included screen shots shows what I have set regarding add the new controller into the cluster. I never see any download data transfer either, see pic.Screen Shot 2019-11-02 at 9.31.04 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-11-02 at 9.03.07 AM.pngScreen Shot 2019-11-02 at 9.02.47 AM.pngScreen Shot 2019-11-02 at 9.02.31 AM.png

• 9.  RE: AOS8.4 MM and Cluster / APs never come online when moved to new cluster member (VC)

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 02, 2019 03:28 PM

If you have a single cluster, you should not have an LMS or backup LMS.  Removing them removes two variables.

Why do you have so many VLANs excluded?

• 10.  RE: AOS8.4 MM and Cluster / APs never come online when moved to new cluster member (VC)

Posted Nov 02, 2019 04:13 PM

I have removed the LMS settings and will retest, this environment was put in place a couple months before I started with the company this year by a third party. I'm not sure why exactly they have so many excluded.

They basically have every vlan in use excluded

Screen Shot 2019-11-02 at 4.08.19 PM.png

• 11.  RE: AOS8.4 MM and Cluster / APs never come online when moved to new cluster member (VC)

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 02, 2019 05:55 PM

That should not be.  It means that the controllers will not check for connectivity between each other for those clients which is not good.  I would remove every VLAN that each controller should be able to connect to.

Also, SSH into the controller that is not working and type "show log system 50" to see if there are any errors that are related to your issue.