Wireless Access

last person joined: 19 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

AOS8, Airwave and ALE architectural question

This thread has been viewed 5 times
  • 1.  AOS8, Airwave and ALE architectural question

Posted Dec 17, 2019 04:08 AM

Hello All,

I have run into a bit of a problem.

I am currently doing an installation which has 2 AOS8 Clusters with 4100 AP's in each cluster.

On AOS8 there is an AMON receiver limit and you can only configure 3 AMON servers.

I will have 2 active airwave servers, 1 backup airwave server and 2 ALE servers per cluster and this may grow. Meaning I will require AMON receivers for at least 5 servers.

I have tried sending AMON from the MM however it doesn't seem to be sending the same data.

Q1 - Do MM's and the controllers send the same information in their AMON stream or does it vary.

Q2 - Should you be able to successfully configure airwave to work using the AMON stream from the MM directly.

Q3 - Should none of the above work, is there a workaround for the amount of AMON streams per cluster?

Thanks,

Ben

• 2.  RE: AOS8, Airwave and ALE architectural question

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 17, 2019 07:45 AM

Hi,

Current Enterprise Airwave server handles up to 4000 devices, since you have two AOS clusters with each 4000 APs , you can monitor each cluster with single Airwave server, for two clusters you need two Airwave servers and one backup for redundancy.

https://psnow.ext.hpe.com/doc/a00091782en_us

Q1 - Do MM's and the controllers send the same information in their AMON stream or does it vary.

ALL APs will termianted on MDs

Q2 - Should you be able to successfully configure airwave to work using the AMON stream from the MM directly.

Configuraiton need to be done from MM and apply it will automatically get pushed to MDs.

We can add Airwave as managmnet server from Configuration>System>More>AMON Receivers option and choose default-amp from drop down list and for ALE choose default-ale option.

in your case , each cluster will have only one Airwave/ALE entry.

Q3 - Should none of the above work, is there a workaround for the amount of AMON streams per cluster?

Could you  elobrate more on this..

• 3.  RE: AOS8, Airwave and ALE architectural question

Posted Dec 17, 2019 07:55 AM

Hello

Thank you for that, however, I cannot use 1 airwave server for each cluster as they aren't handling the load which is causing this problem. When I drop the AP count too 2000 AP's it handles it a lot better, however not perfect.

Each MD has an AMON entry which sends AMON too the MM's. I do the configuration for the MD's on the MM yes, however that just pushes the config to the MD's. I am referring to getting the MM's themself to sent out the AMON information - which there is an option for, and I'm curious that if it doesn't work, why is the option there.

The AP's do terminate on the MD's however as mentioned the AMON gets sent to the MM and therefore I'm hoping that it should forward the received information on.

Instead of doing the AMON config at the managed network level, I am wanting to do it on the mobility master however it doesn't seem to be sending any traffic out - which it logically should do if the option is there.

Thanks,

• 4.  RE: AOS8, Airwave and ALE architectural question

Posted Dec 17, 2019 08:03 AM

Also in addition too that, Airwave supports 4000 devices, i have 4100 on each cluster equalling 8200, and this will grow so cannot have one per cluster.

With the AMON limit, is this showing me that Airwave and large AOS8 deployments aren't compatible without using an external UDP packet duplicator?

• 5.  RE: AOS8, Airwave and ALE architectural question

Posted Dec 17, 2019 09:13 AM

Can I then please ask what the default AMON receiver which points to "master" is used for as you cannot remove it and I have been told that this is sending the AMON data from the MD's to the MM and that is how the MM gets its figures for AP and client count.

I have looked at the sizing guide multiple times but that doesn't explain how to overcome limits with design. For example... ALE VM's and hardware only support 2000 AP's maximum, it doesn't even let you apply more than 2000 licenses per server. for 8000 ish AP's ill need 4 boxes and that's an AMON receiver per box.

There must be a way to get more than 3 airwave servers and an ALE server onto one cluster. 

Hypothetically let's say I had 8000 AP's on one cluster, I would need 2 airwave servers, a backup and then I choose to have ALE. How could i make this work.

• 6.  RE: AOS8, Airwave and ALE architectural question

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 17, 2019 12:03 PM

Can you share me screen shot of Master AMON setting which you are refering.

Each ALE server support 2000 APs for 8000 devices we need four ALE servers and two Airwave ENT servers which support 4000 APs each.

• 7.  RE: AOS8, Airwave and ALE architectural question

Posted Dec 18, 2019 03:40 AM
      |   view attached

Hello,

Please see attached screenshot. As you can see this information would not push to the MD's however as this is there and you can add an amon receiver with the default amp profile youd expect to be able to send the correct and required information from the MM's directly too airwave and it work correctly.

Thanks,

• 8.  RE: AOS8, Airwave and ALE architectural question

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 17, 2019 08:52 AM

Hi,

You can refer server sizing guide link which I shared in my previous post for more details on server hardware requirment based on number of devices.

MDs only forward AMON data to Airwave/ALE server not MM.