Wireless Access

last person joined: 20 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

AOS8 - Cluster / VRRP / Policy Bases Routing - Gateway Issue

This thread has been viewed 8 times
  • 1.  AOS8 - Cluster / VRRP / Policy Bases Routing - Gateway Issue

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Sep 04, 2019 05:33 PM

Hi,

While i working on migration of a 6.x master-standby to 8.4.0.4 mc active-active cluster i focus some issues with policy based routing.

In the new active-active cluster i have an internal vlan (999) with a VRRP configuration and internal DHCP. The DHCP server has a default gateway configured 192.168.1.1, the VRRP VIP address. 

When a user connected to controller MC02 (the VRRP master) the nexthop policy works fine. But when a user connected to MC02 (the VRRP backup) the nexthop policy is not working and the traffic is routed out the management interface (200).

When i change the DHCP default gateway from 192.168.1.1 (the VRRP VIP) to 192.168.1.7 (MC01 VLAN999 IP address). It works fine again for MC01.

Now i understand that for PBR to work the default gateway must be on the same controller and cannot be the VIP address.

Can somebody help me, to what is the correct wat to configure this in an active-active cluster. Would be very appreciated ;)

Below some config from a test environment.

user-role nexthoptest 
        access-list session nexthoptest ###acl is any any any permit

ip nexthop-list nexthoplist-nhl 
        ip 172.16.201.254 priority 5 

ip nexthop-list nexthoplist-nhl202 
        ip 172.16.202.254 priority 5 

ip access-list route nexthoptest-acl 
        any any any route next-hop-list nexthoplist-nhl 

ip access-list route nexthoplist-acl202 
        any any any route next-hop-list nexthoplist-nhl202 

ip access-list route nexthoptest-acl 
        any any any route next-hop-list nexthoplist-nhl 

ip access-list route nexthoplist-acl202 
        any any any route next-hop-list nexthoplist-nhl202 routing-policy-map role nexthoptest access-list nexthoplist-acl202

interface vlan 200  ###management vlan
        ip address 172.16.200.7 255.255.255.0 
        no suppress-arp 

interface vlan 201 ###nexthop vlan
        ip address 172.16.201.7 255.255.255.0 
        ip nat outside 

interface vlan 202 ###nexthop vlan
        ip address 172.16.202.7 255.255.255.0 
        ip nat outside 

interface vlan 999 ###internal vlan
        ip address 192.168.1.7 255.255.255.0 
        ip nat inside 
        no suppress-arp 

• 2.  RE: AOS8 - Cluster / VRRP / Policy Bases Routing - Gateway Issue

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 04, 2019 05:39 PM

What is an active-active cluster?

• 3.  RE: AOS8 - Cluster / VRRP / Policy Bases Routing - Gateway Issue

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Sep 04, 2019 05:44 PM

An Mobiltiy Master with two 7210 Mobility Controllers clustered.

• 4.  RE: AOS8 - Cluster / VRRP / Policy Bases Routing - Gateway Issue

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 04, 2019 05:46 PM

When you say "internal" VLAN, do you mean that the user traffic is natted out of the controller and dhcp is provided by the controller?

• 5.  RE: AOS8 - Cluster / VRRP / Policy Bases Routing - Gateway Issue

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Sep 04, 2019 05:51 PM

Yes indeed, not my first choice but have to deal with it in this migration senario.

(I think the most important reason for the customer is that they are using a public IP scope)

• 6.  RE: AOS8 - Cluster / VRRP / Policy Bases Routing - Gateway Issue

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 04, 2019 06:55 PM

I think you are going to need some design help on this one.  Have you tried to get this to work on a single controller?.  I am not sure that natting out of a controller and PBR necessarily work (or have been tested) in a clustered environment.

• 7.  RE: AOS8 - Cluster / VRRP / Policy Bases Routing - Gateway Issue

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Sep 05, 2019 04:13 AM

Hi Colin,

It works for a couple of years in the 6.x master-masterstandby senario. So yes, on a single controller its works fine. But now in a cluster it work some different. Far as i understand now is that PBR need the default gateway on the same controller to work.

Because we use the VRRP VIP address as default gateway it works only for users the have there UAC on the controller that is also the VRRP MASTER. 

Because users are load balanced about two clustered controllers. The users they have the UAC on the controller that is act as the VRRP BACKUP dont have the active default gateway on the same controller and PBR will stuck.

So i didnt known/find if there is a supported solution on this in a clustered setup. I will raise a TAC case and see if they have a solution on this or we have to stay away from BPR.

Many thanks for your help on this! much appriciated!

• 8.  RE: AOS8 - Cluster / VRRP / Policy Bases Routing - Gateway Issue
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 05, 2019 05:22 AM

There is no "active-active" cluster.  Both controllers in a cluster are always active.

I am sure that PBR works on ArubaOS 8, on a single controller, so there is no problem there.  The problem is natting traffic out of a cluster; I am not sure that is supported.  I don't understand what you are saying about a VRRP backup...In a cluster the VRRP exists for two reasons (1) Initial discovery of a cluster by an  AP  and (2) COA (change of authorization), which is optional.  Outside of those functions, VRRP is not used for any traffic management in a cluster, really.

In the most extreme situation, you would have this working (PBR/NAT/dhcp) on a single controller on ArubaOS 8.x and use a backup-lms controller for redundancy.

• 9.  RE: AOS8 - Cluster / VRRP / Policy Bases Routing - Gateway Issue

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Sep 05, 2019 06:33 AM

Hi Colin,

I agree with what your saying any we both think the same about it. It's not the design i should recommended but we run in this situation because of the migratition. We now looking for remove PBR/NAT/VRRP/DHCP and just assign new VLANs to each SSID (where needed) with the default gateway/dhcp on the external firewall and dhcp server.

(mc01) [MDC] *#
    Virtual Router 210:
    Description INTERN
    Admin State UP, VR State BACKUP
    IP Address 192.168.1.1, MAC Address 00:00:5e:00:01:d2, vlan 999
    Priority 100, Advertisement 1 sec, Preemption Disable Delay 0
    Auth type PASSWORD, Auth data: ********
    tracking is not enabled

(mc02) [MDC] #
    Virtual Router 210:
    Description INTERN
    Admin State UP, VR State MASTER
    IP Address 192.168.1.1, MAC Address 00:00:5e:00:01:d2, vlan 999
    Priority 110, Advertisement 1 sec, Preemption Disable Delay 0
    Auth type PASSWORD, Auth data: ********
    tracking is not enabled
    (mc02) [MDC] #

• 10.  RE: AOS8 - Cluster / VRRP / Policy Bases Routing - Gateway Issue

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 05, 2019 06:38 AM

To be clear, the auto-created VRRP ids from 200 and above are ONLY necessary for COA and should not be defined in the cluster definition if you are not doing COA.

I agree that using external dhcp server and firewall is the way to go.