Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

AOS8 Controller as Router/Firewall and HowTo: Port-Forward

This thread has been viewed 29 times
  • 1.  AOS8 Controller as Router/Firewall and HowTo: Port-Forward

Posted Feb 24, 2019 06:03 PM

All of the threads regarding port-forwarding for Aruba Controllers are old and outdated. I've been through a few rounds with Controller as Public-Facing firewall and port-forwarding recently and thought I'd share my findings. In my scenario the Controller has a public-facing leg and many inside legs. It does all the routing and handles NAT. This is very much like the SD-Branch Gateway solution does it.

nat-inside vs nat-outside

* To ensure NAT for your user's internet-traffic - just add NAT-OUTSIDE on the public-facing interface of your controller. Thats it - no nat-inside on your internal vlan's.

The usecase for nat-inside would be if there is a subnet that only exist on your Controller (like Guest) and your Controller isn't the routing device. Add nat-inside to that vlan and the controller-ip will be used as src-nat address and the controller default-gateway doesn't need to know about this Guest subnet. That atleast is as far as I understood it - please correct me and/or add more usecases below and I'll update here.. ;)

secure your network

* Here you want to create an ACL that allows just the necessary traffic to pass through. A Controller can also terminate tunnels from VPN users, RAP's or other Controllers, so make sure those are added too.

NOTE! If this is a customer and you want to manage this device from your corporate network, I suggest you create an alias (netdestination) for your corp-publicIP and add that as I've done here at the end

netdestination YOURCORP-PUBLICIP
    host 13.14.15.16
    !

ip access-list session OUTSIDE   any any svc-dhcp permit   any any svc-natt permit   any any svc-ike permit   any any svc-icmp permit   any any svc-esp permit any any svc-esp permit alias YOURCORP-PUBLICIP any any permit !

Then you add this list to the public facing interface as a session-based firewall policy:

Interface gigabitethernet 0/0/0
     description PUBLIC
     trusted
     trusted vlan 2000
     ip access-group session “OUTSIDE”
     switchport access vlan 2000
    !

Ok, now that you've secured your Controller AND ensured that you can remotely administer it - you are tasked with doing *eep* port-forwarding.

In AOS 6.x the global firewall was default allow-all so you just had to create the port-forwarding rule in the session ACL and you were done.

In AOS 8.x the firewall is default deny-all. Note that all common ports and protocols are still open (ssh, https/http, telnet, ftp etc), it's the uncommon ones you need to specifically open. Lets take a look at how this is now accomplished.

Ex: You need to let 123.1.2.3 reach 10.2.3.4 using port 5678 both with TCP and UDP.

netdestination CUSTOMER-IP
     host 123.1.2.3
    !

ip access-list session OUTSIDE
     alias CUSTOMER-IP any tcp 5678 dst-nat ip 10.2.3.4 5678
     alias CUSTOMER-IP any udp 5678 dst-nat ip 10.2.3.4 5678
    !

firewall-cp
      ipv4 permit any proto 6 ports 5678 5678
      ipv4 permit any proto 17  ports 5678 5678
    !

#TCP - protocol 6

#UDP - protocol 17

For a BranchGW administered in Central this gets a little trickier, but not much ;)

• Alias = Security -> Aliases
    • ACL/Policy = Security -> Policy
    • firewall-cp ports = Security -> Advanced -> Acl White List
    • Then add the OUTSIDE ACL on the public facing interface as a per-session firewall policy

I think that pretty much sums it up for the topic I had in mind - so leave a comment and add kudos if you like it :)

Kudos goes out to Twinkle at Aruba TAC for your assistance during my nightmarish Sunday! 

• 2.  RE: AOS8 Controller as Router/Firewall and HowTo: Port-Forward

Posted Feb 11, 2020 01:33 AM

Hi John,

Do we need a license for use Aruba mobility controller as a router in third party network environment?

• 3.  RE: AOS8 Controller as Router/Firewall and HowTo: Port-Forward

Posted Feb 11, 2020 02:09 AM

Yes, you need a pef license to activate the firewall. I suggest 1 pef + 1 ap license you can use a RAP also if you need to test the inside of the network - quite handy at times.. You could go with the PEF-V instead and you can use it as Aruba VIA VPN box, tho it's a fair bit more expensive.

• 4.  RE: AOS8 Controller as Router/Firewall and HowTo: Port-Forward

Posted Feb 11, 2020 05:14 AM

Without PEF or AP,  does it support routing, nat and basic router features.

• 5.  RE: AOS8 Controller as Router/Firewall and HowTo: Port-Forward

Posted Feb 11, 2020 06:37 AM

I believe it does, but you should get this confirmed in a lab or by other peers here before you start buying the equipment 1 AP and 1 PEF-NG is a cheap security to have tho.

• 6.  RE: AOS8 Controller as Router/Firewall and HowTo: Port-Forward

Posted Jul 14, 2020 07:42 AM

Can we check the WAN health chack using Health Check manager and load balance between multiple uplinks?

• 7.  RE: AOS8 Controller as Router/Firewall and HowTo: Port-Forward

Posted Jul 14, 2020 07:46 AM

For that I would do a SD-WAN setup using Aruba Central to manage the Controller. There is all kinds of nice features like what you're asking for in there. The support for that in a standalone controller is somewhat limited.