Wireless Access

last person joined: 15 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

AOS8 - adding device via CLI with hostname

This thread has been viewed 4 times
  • 1.  AOS8 - adding device via CLI with hostname

Posted Sep 14, 2020 11:30 AM

Hi,

In preparation for mass migration from 6.x to 8.x, we want to add configuration for all the controllers before they get migrated.

After adding new device via CLI [(config)#configuration device <MAC> device-model <MODEL> <path>] it is only visible in GUI, but not in CLI. Only once the hostname is changed in GUI, MD can be seen in CLI (#cd).

Is anyone aware of the CLI command that will allow us to change the MD hostname after it is added, as we would like to script migration tasks? Thanks.

• 2.  RE: AOS8 - adding device via CLI with hostname

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Sep 14, 2020 04:51 PM

Hi NesaM,

1. Be sure your controller ipsec psk is add to the MM configuration

HomeLAB-MM01) [mm] (config) #localip #.#.#.# ipsec yoursecret

Note: This is the IP of your MD controller.

2. Make a managed device folder hierarchy.

(HomeLAB-MM01) [md] (config) #configuration node /md/HomeLAB

3. Add your MD device to the managed device group

(HomeLAB-MM01) [mm] (config) #configuration device ##:##:##:##:##:## device-model MC-VA /md/HomeLAB

Note: This is the mac-adres of your MD Controller, run "show switchinfo" on your MD to get this.

Note: The hostname in the GUI under managed devices will be inherited from the MD devices.

(HomeLAB-MM01) [mm] (config) #cd HomeLAB-mc01

(HomeLAB-MM01) [mm] (config) #hostname giveitaname

4. Wait some minutes for the controllers are synced

(HomeLAB-MM01) [mm] (config) #show switches

Hope this helps you!

• 3.  RE: AOS8 - adding device via CLI with hostname

Posted Sep 15, 2020 12:11 PM

Hi Marcel,

Thank you for the instructions. However, I am still experiencing issues after adding device with its MAC address in step 3. The commands below are not being accepted as HomeLAB-mc01 doesn't exist as a node at this stage (we are doing this in preparation of mc01 being migrated to AOS8).

(HomeLAB-MM01) [mm] (config) #cd HomeLAB-mc01

(HomeLAB-MM01) [mm] (config) #hostname giveitaname

If I try to add the hostname to the HomeLAB folder directly, error message is "Command can be executed only on device nodes and /mm/mynode".

• 4.  RE: AOS8 - adding device via CLI with hostname

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Sep 15, 2020 12:23 PM

When changing the name in the GUI (changing the mac into a logical name) in fact it change the global hostname of the controller. 

If your at the /mm level and type "cd ?" could you see the controller mac-adres there?

• Can you go to "cd ##:##:##:##:##:##" 
    • Configure terimal
    • hostame giveitaname
    • write mem

If this is not possible i think it can only be changed after your controller is online.

How many controller do you need to migrate? For a large environment the best you can do is raise a TAC case.

• 5.  RE: AOS8 - adding device via CLI with hostname

Posted Sep 15, 2020 12:30 PM

The fact that I cannot see my newly added device (##:##:##:##:##:##) when doing 'cd ##:##:##:##:##:##' is the problem I am trying to resolve through CLI (if possible :-)).

You are right, that once the controller connects to MM after going through the initial setup, everything clicks in its place.

Globally, we are looking at the migration of hundred controllers. As doing everything via CLI is obviously not going to be possible I will just add an explanation for implementation engineers to use GUI for that step.

Thank you for your help.

• 6.  RE: AOS8 - adding device via CLI with hostname

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Sep 15, 2020 12:57 PM

I think that the /md/mac-address is automatic change into the controller hostname after it joined the mobility master. In fact it read the hostname of each MD controller.

Hundred of controllers sounds as a nice environment Please plan the migration with care and be free to ask TAC support to assist you if needed.

• 7.  RE: AOS8 - adding device via CLI with hostname

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 15, 2020 01:09 PM

Please feel free to work with your Aruba SE to leverage all of his/her knowledge about your organization and what you are trying to accomplish to come up with a work flow that will succeed.

There are many ways to do a migration, and "best practices" only work if they account for your work flow, the experiences/talent of your staff and any gotchas that might exist in your environment.  Leveraging your SE or even professional services if this consumes too much of your time would give you enough ideas to determines what works for you.