Wireless Access

last person joined: 17 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

AP-103 can't stop rebooting - provisioning AP with a distance controller

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  AP-103 can't stop rebooting - provisioning AP with a distance controller

Posted Mar 22, 2016 12:02 PM

Hi all, 

just receiving a new AP-103 with a console cable "AP-CBL-SER", and i'm supposed to provisioning this AP with a distance controller behind a firewall (through the internet)

using CLI interface i notice that AP can't stop rebooting and once i interrupt the boot process, apboot> gives me a few command to execute.

note : AP got an IP address from a local DHCP and i can ping internet servers.

Please, can someone help to identiy why AP can't stop rebooting. And how i can provision this AP in this case.

Thanks.

• 2.  RE: AP-103 can't stop rebooting - provisioning AP with a distance controller

Posted Mar 22, 2016 12:20 PM
    Can you Ping the controller from console ?

Sent from Outlook for iPhone

• 3.  RE: AP-103 can't stop rebooting - provisioning AP with a distance controller

Posted Mar 22, 2016 08:21 PM

Hi Victor, Thanks for reply

basicly the controller behind a firewall, so i can ping the outside interface of the firewall from AP' CLI 

thanks

• 4.  RE: AP-103 can't stop rebooting - provisioning AP with a distance controller

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 23, 2016 04:08 AM

Hi, 

Do you see any reboot reason? Could you do a factory_reset from CLI and share the console output withe the reboot sequence? 

Thanks, 

Rajaguru Vincent 

• 5.  RE: AP-103 can't stop rebooting - provisioning AP with a distance controller

Posted Mar 23, 2016 06:58 AM
      |   view attached

Hi, 

apboot>factory_reser

apboot>boot

the output of  these commands are attached "boot.txt"

Thanks.

Attachment(s)

txt
    Boot.txt   4 KB 1 version

• 6.  RE: AP-103 can't stop rebooting - provisioning AP with a distance controller

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 23, 2016 07:06 AM

Hi, 

Running ADP...cat: /tmp/master: No such file or directory
    Done. Master is

The AP hasn't discovered the Master. How are you provisioning the Master controller's IP to the AP? If you haven't set it by dhcp or dns, assign the master IP from CLI. 

apboot> setenv master <CONTROLLER-IP> 

apboot> saveenv 

• 7.  RE: AP-103 can't stop rebooting - provisioning AP with a distance controller

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 23, 2016 07:24 AM

@MandP wrote:

Hi all, 

just receiving a new AP-103 with a console cable "AP-CBL-SER", and i'm supposed to provisioning this AP with a distance controller behind a firewall (through the internet)

It seems like you are trying to provision a Remote AP.  Do you have a static nat between the firewall and the controller for a public address?  Do you have UDP 4500 allowed inbounds from that public address to the controller?

• 8.  RE: AP-103 can't stop rebooting - provisioning AP with a distance controller

Posted Mar 23, 2016 07:58 AM

@Rajaguru, those cammand was realy helpfull,  <<<<< Welcome to the Access Point >>>>> appears finaly.

@Joseph, this is what i'm looking for, i'll create a static from outside to inside allowing UDP port 4500 to be forwarded to controller,  and come back with results :)

• 9.  RE: AP-103 can't stop rebooting - provisioning AP with a distance controller

Posted Mar 23, 2016 11:35 AM

Hi, i configured the firewall to translate inbound connection UDP 4500 to the controller. by using tool monitoring on the outside' firewall i noted that AP didn't initiate any traffic on that port even the AP have the outside address ( note that i can poing outside address from AP, icmp paquets appear on monitorung), 

who is supposed to initiate session, AP or the controller ? 

thanks.

• 10.  RE: AP-103 can't stop rebooting - provisioning AP with a distance controller

Posted Mar 25, 2016 05:43 AM

Hi all, any news for that ? 

• 11.  RE: AP-103 can't stop rebooting - provisioning AP with a distance controller

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 25, 2016 05:09 PM

Hi, 

You are trying to provision the AP to a controller on the internet and behind a firewall. I guess your AP should also be behind an ISP modem. Could you confirm if you are trying to use this AP as a campus AP or a remote AP? The best way to see what traffic the AP sends is to take an uplink packet capture on the switch port where the AP is connected. Could you also share the current boot sequence to see where it is getting stuck? 

• 12.  RE: AP-103 can't stop rebooting - provisioning AP with a distance controller

Posted Mar 28, 2016 06:32 PM
      |   view attached

Hi Vincent,

you're right this is my case, controller behind a firewall and AP behind a ISP modem. in addition necessary configuration are done at the firewall level, i mean static nat from outside to inside with port forwarding UDP 4500&w. 

Yes, i try to use this my AP as a remote AP (RAP).

for paquet capture (using wireshard) i noted tahat AP doesn't generate any traffic even his network card eth0 well configuration with LAN and master IP.

Note : AP reboot a lot see the txt of the reboot sequence (I replaced controller IP with X.X.X.X in txt file)

Thanks, waiting to hear back from you.

Attachment(s)

txt
    Boot process.txt   5 KB 1 version

• 13.  RE: AP-103 can't stop rebooting - provisioning AP with a distance controller

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 28, 2016 07:51 PM

Hi, 

AP-103 is a Campus AP. I mean, it is not an Remote AP out of the box. We usually bring it up on the controller as a campus AP and then convert it as a RAP. This procedure may not be possible in this setup. The firewall settings to NAT udp 4500 is something required for the RAPs. 

So, you may need convert the AP-103 to a Remote AP from the console. You can find the steps and other discussion in the below community threads, 

1. http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Wireless-Access/How-can-i-convert-an-AP105-as-remote-ap-from-apboot-prompt/td-p/137475

2. http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Wireless-Access/Tutorial-Configuring-Remote-AP-Via-console/td-p/173176

If the AP can get DHCP IP and can ping other devices as you said earlier, then you should have seen some packets on the AP uplink capture. Could you confirm that? 

If you have a Remote AP or an Instant AP, the steps would be easier. 

• 14.  RE: AP-103 can't stop rebooting - provisioning AP with a distance controller

Posted Mar 30, 2016 12:36 PM
      |   view attached

Hi Vincent, 

appriciate, wasn't aware about converting to RAP first. BTW i followed you what you suggest step by step, but it seems that AP don't send any traffic even i'm able to ping a public IP from his CLI

but nothing appear on packet capture (wireshark - ICMP filter).

attached TXT file with printenv command and boot 

Note : on TXT file X.X.X.X is the public IP o controller hidden for some reasons.

i don't understand what happned with this AP even i did the neccesary configuration on it and Firewall

waiting for you feedback.

Thanks 

Attachment(s)

txt
    AP-103 boot.txt   5 KB 1 version

• 15.  RE: AP-103 can't stop rebooting - provisioning AP with a distance controller

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 30, 2016 04:50 PM

Hi, 

You can ping from the AP cli. If the ping was successful, there should be some traffic. If the wireshark didn't show an traffic, double check if you've missed anything in capture settings. 

Is the firewall seeing any hits from the Modem's public IP when you ping the the firewall IP from the AP cli? 

If nothing seem to work, I would recommend raising a TAC case.