Wireless Access

last person joined: 18 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

AP 105 getting IP address and controller, but doesn't show up to be provisioning.

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  AP 105 getting IP address and controller, but doesn't show up to be provisioning.

Posted Jul 03, 2014 02:55 PM

We have two controllers; one with a local.

When this AP stopped broadcasting (still had power and ethernet LEDs), I took it down to reset. 

When I CLI into it gets IP address and finds a controller. At this point i don't care which one. I don't see it in the Provisioning page. It does show up Monitoring > Network > All Access Points page in the default group with status "down". The radio data says "undefined" on that page as well.

Does this mean that the unit is bad?

I've purged/save/reset it. I've cleared it from the All Access Points page. It just never shows up for provisioning.

Thanks!

• 2.  RE: AP 105 getting IP address and controller, but doesn't show up to be provisioning.

Posted Jul 03, 2014 02:55 PM

It also says in its CLI "Failed FIPS KAT".

• 3.  RE: AP 105 getting IP address and controller, but doesn't show up to be provisioning.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 03, 2014 02:58 PM
    Is your AP or controller a FIPS model? (look for F1 in the model)

• 4.  RE: AP 105 getting IP address and controller, but doesn't show up to be provisioning.

Posted Jul 03, 2014 03:06 PM

It's a 3600 model. I didn't see F1 anywhere.

• 5.  RE: AP 105 getting IP address and controller, but doesn't show up to be provisioning.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 03, 2014 04:22 PM

I would plug a console cable into the access point and record the output when it comes up.

• 6.  RE: AP 105 getting IP address and controller, but doesn't show up to be provisioning.

Posted Jul 03, 2014 05:46 PM

First easy step log into controlelr (type Show AP database) and check about this access also is the Ap and controller in diffrent subnets,Do you enbale Option 43 in you DHCP request if controller and AP are in diffrent subnets after makeing sure about those things use a conole to AP and check the whole boot process to see what is actully happen.

• 7.  RE: AP 105 getting IP address and controller, but doesn't show up to be provisioning.

Posted Jul 03, 2014 08:29 PM

Do you know how the AP find the controller IP?

Go to the console like Collin told you

Check if you get a message that it cannot find the controller or the switch

If he cannot contact the controller then you should check how the APS on your network find the controller...

You have some options, and its really possible that all the aps finds the ip of the controller in the same way

Here are the ways

1-Manually: to check if your AP its manually configured you can check out the others APs...

Go to ap installation-->then click privsion on any of the APS and check on master discovery options...  In here check if its manually defined the IP address of the controller

If you find that the other aps got the IP of the controller here then thats the problem.... you must manually put the controller ip in the AP so it can find the controller... you can check this and it will tell you how to do it

http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Unified-Wired-Wireless-Access/TechNote-AP-Provisioning-July-MHC/m-p/178466#M37094

The other options are dynamically...

You got the easiest way which is with DNS

In this you should be sure that you got the record in your dns server of aruba-master and that record must of the IP of the controller...

If you do not have that record then its possible that is not configure this way... but i strongly recommend you do if you don thave it that way.

If you got the record of aruba-master on the DNS server on the forward zone, and you still not looking the AP on the list then check that the DHCP server if giving the correct DNS servers...

The other ways are with ADP with broadcast which will automatically dyscover the controller  if he is on the same vlan of the IP of the controller 

And the other its with ADP multicast but thats really rarely use....

And the last one is with the DHCP option 43... and you should check on the DHCP if you got this option configured.... i rarely see that one as well...

The most common used are statically and DNS.

Cheers

Carlos

• 8.  RE: AP 105 getting IP address and controller, but doesn't show up to be provisioning.

Posted Jul 07, 2014 09:26 AM

We have two masters on our network, accessible from any building in the WAN. It keeps finding the master IP address ending in .48, but I need it on .50. When I log onto either, it doesn't show up in the Installation page. It only shows up in the Monitoring > All Access Points as "down" status. I have the option to clear it, but that doesn't allow it to come up on a reboot.

Starting watchdog process...

Getting an IP address...

ag7100_ring_alloc Allocated 4800 at 0x803cc000

ag7100_ring_alloc Allocated 3024 at 0x86951000

AG7100: cfg1 0xf cfg2 0x7014

ATHRF1: Port 0, Neg Success

ATHRF1: unit 0 phy addr 0 ATHRF1: reg0 3100

AG7100: unit 0 phy is up...RGMii 1000Mbps full duplex

AG7100: pll reg 0x18050010: 0x110000  AG7100: cfg_1: 0x1ff0000

AG7100: cfg_2: 0x3ff

AG7100: cfg_3: 0x18001ff

AG7100: cfg_4: 0xffff

AG7100: cfg_5: 0xfffef

AG7100: done cfg2 0x7215 ifctl 0x0 miictrl 0x22 

Writing 4

10.1.100.143 255.255.0.0 10.1.255.254

Running ADP...Done. Master is 10.1.10.48

ath_hal: 0.9.17.1 (AR5416, AR9380, REGOPS_FUNC, PRIVATE_DIAG, WRITE_EEPROM, 11D)

ath_rate_atheros: Copyright (c) 2001-2005 Atheros Communications, Inc, All Rights Reserved

ath_rate_atheros: Aruba Networks Rate Control Algorithm

ath_dfs: Version 2.0.0

Copyright (c) 2005-2006 Atheros Communications, Inc. All Rights Reserved

ath_spectrum: Version 2.0.0

ath_dev: Copyright (c) 2001-2007 Atheros Communications, Inc, All Rights Reserved

ath_pci: 0.9.4.5 (Atheros/multi-bss)

ath_pci: cannot reserve PCI memory region

ath_ahb: 0.9.4.5 (Atheros/multi-bss)

Starting FIPS KAT ... Failed FIPS KAT.

AP rebooted Fri Dec 31 16:05:21 PST 1999; SAPD: Reboot after successful image upgrade

shutting down watchdog process (nanny will restart it)...

Is this enough of the boot log?

• 9.  RE: AP 105 getting IP address and controller, but doesn't show up to be provisioning.

Posted Jul 07, 2014 09:36 AM

Why you need it to be the other master? i mean the .50?

Anyways you can always configure it manually

setenv master <ipaddress of the controller>

setenv serverip <ip address of the controller>

saveenv

After that you can reboot the AP and it should look after the .50 controller,(he willl still get the ip of the AP  by dhcp)

Cheers

Carlos

• 10.  RE: AP 105 getting IP address and controller, but doesn't show up to be provisioning.

Posted Jul 07, 2014 09:39 AM

Thanks. I'll give it a shot.

• 11.  RE: AP 105 getting IP address and controller, but doesn't show up to be provisioning.

Posted Jul 07, 2014 09:44 AM

This worked partially. It shows up on .50, but as down and I can't provision it. It only shows up in Monitoring > All Access Points. All I can do is clear it.

• 12.  RE: AP 105 getting IP address and controller, but doesn't show up to be provisioning.

Posted Jul 07, 2014 09:36 AM

I cleared it again and now it's master is 10.1.10.50's local, .49. I can't find it anywhere on the controller master or local.

• 13.  RE: AP 105 getting IP address and controller, but doesn't show up to be provisioning.

Posted Jul 07, 2014 09:41 AM

Okay we need to know what you got in there...

You got one master and one local???

The master is 10.1.10.50??

And the local is the .48???

When you got a master local enviroment you put the record on the dns server as aruba-master(with the master controller IP)

When you need to terminate APS on a local controller then you use the  LMS vlaue in which you input in there where the AP should terminate the tunnel....

Cheers

Carlos

• 14.  RE: AP 105 getting IP address and controller, but doesn't show up to be provisioning.

Posted Jul 07, 2014 09:45 AM

We have a master/local .50 and .49.

We also have a second master, .48, that is an evaluation unit for a single building in the WAN.

We essentially have two aruba-masters.

• 15.  RE: AP 105 getting IP address and controller, but doesn't show up to be provisioning.

Posted Jul 07, 2014 09:48 AM

both master has differnet firmwares?

Because if its that... it should get the new firmware... he will log into the other controller but he will have to reboot...

He will need to tget the certificate and he will reboot again and then he willl be up....

Can you shoulw the console output? to see what it says???

At tleast on the last output it says that rebooting because he just got the new firwmare....

Cheers

Carlos

• 16.  RE: AP 105 getting IP address and controller, but doesn't show up to be provisioning.

Posted Jul 07, 2014 09:50 AM

Can you show the output?

it will tell you why it did reboot.. if it reboot because it got a new firmware it will tell you in there...

Cheers

Carlos

• 17.  RE: AP 105 getting IP address and controller, but doesn't show up to be provisioning.

Posted Jul 07, 2014 09:53 AM

Here is the last one.

.50 is 6.3.1.7

.48 is 6.3.1.2

10.1.100.143 255.255.0.0 10.1.255.254

Running ADP...Done. Master is 10.1.10.50

ath_hal: 0.9.17.1 (AR5416, AR9380, REGOPS_FUNC, PRIVATE_DIAG, WRITE_EEPROM, 11D)

ath_rate_atheros: Copyright (c) 2001-2005 Atheros Communications, Inc, All Rights Reserved

ath_rate_atheros: Aruba Networks Rate Control Algorithm

ath_dfs: Version 2.0.0

ath_spectrum: Version 2.0.0

ath_dev: Copyright (c) 2001-2007 Atheros Communications, Inc, All Rights Reserved

ath_pci: 0.9.4.5 (Atheros/multi-bss)

ath_pci: cannot reserve PCI memory region

ath_ahb: 0.9.4.5 (Atheros/multi-bss)

Starting FIPS KAT ... Failed FIPS KAT.

AP rebooted Fri Dec 31 16:04:32 PST 1999; SAPD: Unable to contact switch: HELLO-TIMEOUT. Last Ctrl msg: HELLO len=1104 dest=10.1.10.50 tries=10 seq=0

shutting down watchdog process (nanny will restart it)...

• 18.  RE: AP 105 getting IP address and controller, but doesn't show up to be provisioning.

Posted Jul 07, 2014 09:58 AM
    AP rebooted Fri Dec 31 16:04:32 PST 1999; SAPD: Unable to contact switch: HELLO-TIMEOUT. Last Ctrl msg: HELLO len=1104 dest=10.1.10.50 tries=10 seq=0

This message is telling you that the ap is unable to find the controller....

can you get in the apboot again

and issue this command

dhcp

That command willl give the the ip address

then

ping 10.1.10.50

You should be able to ping it...

Anyways there is something really odd...

And you konw what is it?

It seems he saw the controlle for the first time as you told me that you saw it as down  on the .50 controller and you did not see that before right????

Like if it looked it and now he is unable to see it for some reason...

You got working APS on that controller? or it is a new controller???

Cheers

Carlos

• 19.  RE: AP 105 getting IP address and controller, but doesn't show up to be provisioning.

Posted Jul 07, 2014 10:08 AM

206 APs on that controller.

apboot> ping 10.1.10.50

eth0 up: 1 Gb/s full duplex

Using eth0 device

host 10.1.10.50 is alive

apboot> 

This is not a new controller. We've had it for a year or more. This AP just stopped broadcasting on it's own. No recent config changes. Nothing that would affect only on AP that is.

• 20.  RE: AP 105 getting IP address and controller, but doesn't show up to be provisioning.

Posted Jul 07, 2014 10:19 AM

Oh is not a new AP???

Okay try this

go to the apboot again and do

clear os

purgeenv

save

If you do

print

you will see that your config of the controller is gone

So you will need to put it again

setenv master <ip address>

setenv serverip <ip address>

save

and reboot the AP

remenber he will restart like 2 times, when it download the firmware and when it install the certificate

You should see it as down for a while on the controller as its rebooting... or you will see it its upgrading on the ap installation.

If this does not work then

i woul stop wasting time with this and open a suppport case... because it looks like its a faulty AP..

If i were you,  to be 100% sure it is the AP i would get a working AP that i know it works and do the same im doing but with this AP.  And if it works then i would open a support case for a RMA.

The other thing is that, do you have enough license ont hat controller right?

Cheers

Carlos

• 21.  RE: AP 105 getting IP address and controller, but doesn't show up to be provisioning.

Posted Jul 07, 2014 10:22 AM

Its clear os

separeted,  i just edited my message.

Cheers

Carlos

• 22.  RE: AP 105 getting IP address and controller, but doesn't show up to be provisioning.

Posted Jul 07, 2014 10:25 AM

I'll do that. Thanks for the time and help.

I ended up replacing this one with one off the shelf, so I'm leaning towards bad OS or bad boards.

Again, thanks!

• 23.  RE: AP 105 getting IP address and controller, but doesn't show up to be provisioning.

Posted Jul 07, 2014 10:27 AM

Remenber to tell us at the end if it was a faulty AP  :)

Cheers

Carlos

• 24.  RE: AP 105 getting IP address and controller, but doesn't show up to be provisioning.

Posted Jul 09, 2014 01:56 PM

Faulty APs are getting replaced. The technician's last question was is it failing FIPS KAT.

• 25.  RE: AP 105 getting IP address and controller, but doesn't show up to be provisioning.

Posted Oct 28, 2014 06:20 PM

hi guys, well im having similar troubles, just in this case i already prove 2 aps. that used to see the controller and now it doesnt work. i see in the cli that they get ip but doesnt reach the controller, im starting to losing my mind... lol... hope someone can help me...

the other aps are conected and i even reboot the controller and all the others get to the controller, is like if they are not with reserve ip in dhcp and the controller doenst have it as an old one just doesnt work... i already do the clear os thing... and nothing happen... i change it to another lan and still the same... i put all manually and both aps doesnt seem to reach the controller....

i send the cli after the instruction that u put in this forum.... i will be glad if u can help me on this one... thanks a lot...