Wireless Access

last person joined: 22 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

AP 105 keeps rebooting

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  AP 105 keeps rebooting

Posted Aug 26, 2013 01:14 PM

I have an access point that after I used the AP wizard and set up the appropriate IPs, saved the settings and then allowed it to reboot, it gets stuck in a reboot cycle.  I've read a few posts on here that say to connect to it through the console port, but I have no idea how to do that.  Back in the day we used to solder 9 pin connectors in such a way to connect to devices, but this 105 only has an RJ45.  If I have a laptop, and connect a regular ethernet cable to the laptop and then to the console port, I still don't know how to access the device.  I tried telnet and putty, but I need an address to access the device.  I'm stuck at this point.

• 2.  RE: AP 105 keeps rebooting

Posted Aug 26, 2013 02:02 PM
    Standard roll over cables should work. The wiring configuration from an RJ45 perspective is pins 1-8,2-7,3-6,4-5,5-4,6-3,7-2,8-1 this in effect shows a mirror image, although you will need to adapt for a DB9 console connection. After that putty and serial connections should provide you with the output to determine the cause of the fault. Standard trinal settings you'd use in any other 9.6k terminal connection. Good luck.

• 3.  RE: AP 105 keeps rebooting

Posted Aug 26, 2013 03:28 PM

I'm still not getting a connection.  I have the rolloever cable connected between my ethernet on the laptop and the console connector on the access point.  I bring up a putty session using serial (defaults to com1, 9600, 8n1) and then plug power into the AP and start hitting enter in the putty session.  The power light blinks slowly on the AP and then faster (after about 6 slow blinks), but nothing ever shows on my putty session. Is there some setting to the ethernet card I should be using, like a different protocol or such?  I've turned off the windows firewall just in case, but to no avail.  

• 4.  RE: AP 105 keeps rebooting
    Best Answer

Posted Aug 26, 2013 04:36 PM

Instead of using a cross over cable, you might also use a null modem cable (rj45 - serial) to connect using putty.  I have used these in the past to console into a AP-105 when I have issues.

RJ-45 to Serial Connector

• 5.  RE: AP 105 keeps rebooting

Posted Aug 26, 2013 04:43 PM

The other guy I work with just happened to have a 9pin to RJ45 converter and as soon as I got it plugged in I started seeing information come across my putty session immediately.  Thanks for the assist !  Now off to fix my AP...