Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

AP-105 over MPLS/clients getting wrong IP via DHCP

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  AP-105 over MPLS/clients getting wrong IP via DHCP

Posted Dec 07, 2011 10:36 PM

Let me see if I explain this correctly.

I have 2 3200 controllers at our main site in a Master/Local setup. i have a remote locations connected via MPLS. The AP at the remote site is configured as a campus AP with a static IP for that subnet (192.168.185.x), but when a client connects to the AP they receive an ip from my main sites subnet (192.168.180.x). A windows Server is our DHCP that hands out IPs to all of our locations with a DHCP helper configured on the MPLS router. Would it be best to setup a VLAN for the remote site APs on the controller or is there a way to fix this? All other devices connected to the LAN are getting the correct IP assigned.

mainsite ip 192.168.180.x

remote site ip 192.168.185.x

Thanks in advance.

• 2.  RE: AP-105 over MPLS/clients getting wrong IP via DHCP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 07, 2011 11:31 PM

Do you want the clients to get an ip address from the main site or the remote site? Is the Virtual AP for that WLAN bridged or Tunneled?

• 3.  RE: AP-105 over MPLS/clients getting wrong IP via DHCP

Posted Dec 07, 2011 11:38 PM

I would like them to get their IP from our main sites DHCP server. And they are in Tunnel mode.

• 4.  RE: AP-105 over MPLS/clients getting wrong IP via DHCP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 07, 2011 11:45 PM

Then the Virtual AP that those clients connected to should be configured as tunneled and have the correct VLAN number at your site.  What is your virtual ap configured for now?

• 5.  RE: AP-105 over MPLS/clients getting wrong IP via DHCP

Posted Dec 07, 2011 11:49 PM

VAP is configured for vlan 1 and set to tunnel.

• 6.  RE: AP-105 over MPLS/clients getting wrong IP via DHCP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 07, 2011 11:53 PM

Long story short, the Aruba system is designed so that it does not matter what ip address the access points get, as long as they can reach the controller they need to.  As long as your clients get an ip address, can can send and receive traffic it does not matter.

• 7.  RE: AP-105 over MPLS/clients getting wrong IP via DHCP

Posted Dec 08, 2011 12:00 AM

My only concern is exhausting my ips on my main subnet which is a big concern. This is just one of the many sites that will be configured this way. I just dont get why all of my other devices at that site that get their address from the same DHCP server get the correct network address and the wireless clients get my main networks address.

Thanks

• 8.  RE: AP-105 over MPLS/clients getting wrong IP via DHCP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 08, 2011 07:17 AM

Allright.

What you can do is create another VLAN in your infrastructure, create that same VLAN on the controller and uplink it to your wired infrastructure.  You can then change the Virtual AP to that new VLAN and your wireless users will get ip addresses from that new VLAN.

• 9.  RE: AP-105 over MPLS/clients getting wrong IP via DHCP

Posted Jan 05, 2012 09:09 PM

Ok i dont think i need another VLAN for my remote subnet correct? The DHCP server sits at our main location and is already servicing wired clients with the proper IP's. The AP gets the correct IP from DHCP but the wireless clients get a totaly different IP.

DHCP Server> Main location

Services all of my remote sites.

Main Subnet Address range  192.168.181.1-254

Remote site Address Range 192.168.185.1-254 <only wired clients are getting a 185 address including the AP> Wireless clients get a 181 address.

Thanks

• 10.  RE: AP-105 over MPLS/clients getting wrong IP via DHCP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 06, 2012 01:39 PM

Two crucial questions:

- The APs at the "remote" site is connected to the local controller, right?

- The Virtual AP connected to the controller is tunneled, and on VLAN 1 right?

Ok, so Whatever subnet that local controller is connected to, whatever the local controller considers VLAN1 is the ip addresses that the clients are going to get.  Your controller can be another subnet where VLAN 1 is 192.168.50.x and that is what subnet the clients will be placed into.  The VLAN a client is placed on is from the perspective of the local controller that the AP is connected., even though the Virtual AP VLAN is global.

• 11.  RE: AP-105 over MPLS/clients getting wrong IP via DHCP

Posted Jan 07, 2012 11:19 PM

Yes and Yes

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I will do as you suggested earlier in the post. Thanks for the help.