Wireless Access

last person joined: 21 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

AP 105

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  AP 105

Posted Jan 08, 2012 07:52 AM

Dear ALL,

I am a new guy for Aruba wireless technology. and I apprciate your help in the below situation

1- we have an Aruba mobility controller in our HQ witch is configured to provide intranet and guest access

2- we 3 AP 105 at a remote office which we want to use to provide only guest internet access through a DSL line in the remote office

how could we acheive that. i have read on the internet that we can configure these 3 access point in such a way that the encryption/decryption is made by the access points itself not the controller and i think this may help in our situation in case of connectivity faliure between the controller and the APs

thanks in advance

• 2.  RE: AP 105

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 08, 2012 08:10 AM

Ismail,

That is called "Split-tunnel Captive Portal" and it is an advanced topic.

Here are the requirements:

1.   The Access Point needs to be setup as a Remote AP first

2.  The Guest WLAN needs to be configured for split-tunnel captive portal

3.  If this is a private WAN, the DSL modem must be the default gateway to the internet.

The biggest requirement is that all three access points at that site have to be configured as remote APs.  After they are configured as remote APs, how the configure the guest WLAN further is listed in the knowledgebase article here:  http://kb.arubanetworks.com/cgi-bin/arubanetworks.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=825

• 3.  RE: AP 105

Posted Jan 08, 2012 08:22 AM

Dear cjoseph,

first of all i would like to thank you for your fast response. there is an idea that came to me and i want to check if it is possible or not.

can these access points configured as remote access points and then disconnected from the corporate network and connected to physically seperated guest network so guest users can connect to the internet through the DSL line and the authintication is made only by WPA2-Personal (password only no captive portal)

thanks in advance 

• 4.  RE: AP 105

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 08, 2012 08:28 AM

Absolutely.

You would first need to configure these access as remote APs and have them point to the controller on the controller's public interface.

Once that is working, you can setup a WLAN that uses WPA2-preshared key and the forwarding mode for the WLAN would have to be bridged so that the traffic is bridged onto the network with the dsl modem.  The DSL would provide ip addresses for all the clients that are bridged to it.  The access points would all be plugged into a switch that is connected to the cable modem.  In this scenario, forget the knowledgebase article about captive portal.

• 5.  RE: AP 105

Posted Jan 08, 2012 08:33 AM

many thanks

i will give this a try tomorrow and let you know