Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

AP-135 as a RAP: LAN-settings

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  AP-135 as a RAP: LAN-settings

Posted Feb 16, 2017 06:33 AM

Hello all,

i want to use the AP-135 as a RAP for a small remote location.

The RAP-config is not my problem - that is working. Now i would like to configure the second Ethernet-Interface as Gateway for some local network devices.

Currently all devices are running with fixed IP-addresses - we have no dhcp running for wired devices, and i definitely want to keep it that way right now!

The ethernet port for the WAN - connection must be running on dhcp of course.

So here's my question: how do i configure individual IP-settingsfor the two AP-interfaces?

I would like to run dhcp on Eth0 to use it as the WAN-interface, and fixed-IP settings on Eth1 for the LAN which will be the gateway for the LAN components

Since the AP-135 does not seem to have a RAP-config html interface like the "RAP x" access points, i'm loking for the cli-commands for this.

I couldn't find any documentation for this type of AP-config.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

• 2.  RE: AP-135 as a RAP: LAN-settings

Posted Feb 16, 2017 08:19 AM
    Hi,

I don't believe you can setup an AP in that way.

• 3.  RE: AP-135 as a RAP: LAN-settings

Posted Feb 16, 2017 09:45 AM

One alternativethat might be acceptable comes to my mind:

For the LAN-devices connected to the second ethernet-port the AP acts as dhcp-server in a RAP, right?

Could i define individual dhcp-IP-pools for each RAP on the controller then?

I could make these as small as possible, maybe that could be handeled as well in our network to work out in all relevant aspects...

• 4.  RE: AP-135 as a RAP: LAN-settings

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 16, 2017 09:50 AM

Your LAN components on ethernet1, do you want them to communicate with themselves, the outside world?  That will determine your configuration.  It can be done.

• 5.  RE: AP-135 as a RAP: LAN-settings

Posted Feb 16, 2017 10:03 AM

The devices have to be able to communicate among each other (i.e. computer and printer) as well as communicate with several resources within the corporate network.

Some of these relations are determined by routing entries and firewall rules.

I absolutely need to be able to distinguish between LAN devices that are attached to different RAPs at different locations because they do have differing access rights within the network.

• 6.  RE: AP-135 as a RAP: LAN-settings

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 16, 2017 10:08 AM

The static ip addresses that those devices have, are they fully routable networks within your enterprise?  If yes, you can make that second port a tunneled port on a specific VLAN.  If no, how are those devices supposed to be addressable or addressed within your enterprise?

• 7.  RE: AP-135 as a RAP: LAN-settings

Posted Feb 16, 2017 10:17 AM

Yes they are - so that sounds like a possible path to a possible solution to me right now since i do not need to have more than one single LAN-Network in these locations.

So binding eth1 to a VLAN that is defined as the LAN-Network we use right now should definitiely be a way to accomplish the task.

I have to look up how to do that... any hints? :-)

• 8.  RE: AP-135 as a RAP: LAN-settings

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 16, 2017 11:02 AM

I would take a look at the RAP Validated Reference Design Here:  http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Validated-Reference-Design/Remote-AP-Networks/ta-p/155140

Do a search for wired and there will be instructions...

• 9.  RE: AP-135 as a RAP: LAN-settings

Posted Feb 16, 2017 11:25 AM

I will certainly do that - thanks a lot so far Colin!

Great input!