Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

AP-203H and double-gang wall plate

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  AP-203H and double-gang wall plate

MVP
    Posted Sep 18, 2018 03:15 PM

All of our dorm rooms have double gang wall boxes that include power on one side and a network port on the other. Does Aruba make a mount that I can attach an AP-203H to a double-gang wall box without interfering with the power recepticles?

#nothingiseasy

• 2.  RE: AP-203H and double-gang wall plate

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 18, 2018 03:54 PM

Sorry, not aware that we have something that's designed to support this use-case.

• 3.  RE: AP-203H and double-gang wall plate

Posted Sep 19, 2018 08:52 PM

Something you might be-able to do. I realized that the single gang-205H mounts were slightly different from the 103H single gang-mounts. This was an initial "rough prototype" - The final version was much cleaner (straight cut). :-).. I mounted the 205h on the left side - and then sliced up a dual-gang faceplate for the right side. This was only in 10 locations and was acceptable by our cabling team. I would be careful though as the backs of the APs can get pretty hot. We also considered the potential idea of 3D Printing some custom mounts as this was only in 10 Locations.

IMG_20160602_131050079.jpgThis was shared on the Educause Listserv by another university in UTAH. As "shared boxes" has been one of the popular topics.
    educause.pngSomething else I've seen that might work for you. May not be the "best looking" but would help avoid an exposed short patch cable.
    Faceplate.png

• 4.  RE: AP-203H and double-gang wall plate
    Best Answer

MVP
    Posted Sep 20, 2018 02:32 PM

Thanks for the reply. The modification that you made to the wall plate got me thinking if anyone makes slimmer wall plates. And guess what, Leviton does. For $2, I was able to solve this entire issue, after cutting the tab off. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Leviton-Sectional-1-Gang-End-Decora-Nylon-Wall-Plate-White-905-PSE26-00W/100356951?MERCH=REC-_-PIPHorizontal1_rr-_-301799868-_-100356951-_-N

white-leviton-rocker-switch-plates-905-pse26-00w-64_1000.jpgIMG_1700.JPGIMG_2211.JPG
    Thanks again!

• 5.  RE: AP-203H and double-gang wall plate

Posted Sep 20, 2018 04:47 PM

That looks great! Glad I was able to help with your brainstorming! :-)

We also printed out labels with contact information - port information for the APs - as well as got "RJ45 fillers" to plug into the pass-through - to help minimize calls to the Help Desk for plugging into the wrong port.