Wireless Access

New Contributor

AP-215 what controller????

My employer is tossing a bunch of AP-215's and I'm looking to pick a few up for my home deployment. I have a PoE switch so power won't be an issue, but from my understanding I need a controller. What controller should I look for? A specific model number would be helpful.

Edit: Also do i need a license for the controller? Is it a one time purchase or subscription? Is it per WAP? Do the WAP's need to be plugged into the controller or can I use my standard switch?


Re: AP-215 what controller????

Hi Henry,


The are two version of the 215 AP, instant (IAP-205) and without instant (AP-205). The instant version dont need a physical controller and also dont need any licence. If you got an AP-205 it works only with a controller.


Smallest controller is the Aruba 7005 branch controller. There is also controller that can run on VMware or Hyper-V virtual, but you need a virtual controller licence to run.


Other licences are per AP based and can consist of the folling:

- AP licence (required at least)

- PEF Policy Enforcement Firewall licence (recommended)

- RFProtect Rogue containment/spectrum scanning

- WEBCC content classification (subcription)


Most likely you only use the AP and PEF licences, if you have 5 AP you need 5 AP + 5 PEF licences, AP en PEF must be equal.

Kind Regards Marcel Koedijk
HPE ASE Flexnetwork | ACMP | ACCP | Ekahau ECSE Design - Was this post usefull, Kudos are welcome.
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: