Wireless Access

last person joined: 15 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

AP 275 coverage

This thread has been viewed 5 times
  • 1.  AP 275 coverage

Posted May 14, 2015 12:46 AM

Hello

I would like to know if anyone have these and how far it can reach?

Let saw that if  i put it 10 meters  of heigh.   I far it will reach around him? for maybe users using pdts in the floor(non ac pdts)?  

a pdt being 100 meter far would be able to get good signal in open space? in open space. 

I remenber the report that says that a sansumg galaxy could get decent speed at 90m but still 

http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Technology-Blog/Outdoor-802-11ac-Wi-Fi-that-goes-fast-and-looks-good-while-doing/ba-p/138479

i dont have a ap 275 for a test :/

At least in the visual RF if i put open space on region(value 2)  you get -65 at 100m but still

Any comment?

Cheers

Carlos

• 2.  RE: AP 275 coverage

Posted May 14, 2015 01:20 AM

Hi

I have used the 275's outdoor. We have had devices connected to them from 200 meters away as a trial.

We have since scaled back the output power from the 275's as we did not need to cover that far, and we had some voice clients that were getting one way communictaion which was expected.

Hope that helps.

Thanks

• 3.  RE: AP 275 coverage

Posted May 14, 2015 01:24 AM

What output power you were using on your config of your aps 275?

Did the client did bad or had a lot of packet lost at 200m??

We actually dont need that far... i guess with 100 m that a pdt can reach would be good, i mean if it possible with no packet lost.... 

The pdts are abg  not even 802.11n :/

Cheers

Carlos

• 4.  RE: AP 275 coverage

Posted May 14, 2015 02:02 AM

I dont have access to the site at the moment but I think they are running about level 12 or 15 at the moment. They can run as high as 28 if I remember correctly on the 275's.

I don't remember the actual client performance was like. We disiabled all the lower rates below 12 and the client were still able to maintain at least a 12mbps connection and they were able to browse the net and get email etc. It was just that we noticed that we were getting 1 way voice calls as the AP was not able to hear the voice clients transmitting the packets back in a timely fashion so we reduced the output power.

Thanks

• 5.  RE: AP 275 coverage

Posted May 14, 2015 02:09 AM

Guess if you were able to browse and get emails at 200m... it should be ok at 100m... which is haft of the distance...

Were your clients 802.11n? or 802.11ac?

What heigh you got your APS 275?

Cheers

Carlos

• 6.  RE: AP 275 coverage

Posted May 14, 2015 02:17 AM

They are mounted at a height between 2-3 meters depending on the location.

The clients were a mixed bag. I had some 802.11ac devices like my Samsung galaxy s5, The Spectralink Voice phones were configured to be 802.11a.

We also see the public connecting with all sorts of devices as this network also allows guest access.

The customer is very happy with the solution and like the majority of Aruba networks once  deployed there is very few issues that appear.

• 7.  RE: AP 275 coverage

Posted May 14, 2015 09:05 AM

Do you remenber what distance you can conver when you guys reduced the output power to 12-15?

I ask you because maybe when you were running the trial at 200m, maybe you had the output power at 28 which is something i cannot put it, as those devices are 20 max output power and if i put it over it, it will cause issues, roaming issues and things like that.

I would like to know if with 18 output power i would reach 100m, i think thats what im looking for to know, also wondering if for any luck i would get something like -65 dbm signal at that distance hehe 

Cheers

Carlos

• 8.  RE: AP 275 coverage

Posted May 14, 2015 11:19 PM

We only needed to go an maintain a phone call at a range of about 50 Metres and at those levels it works fine. We have security guys walking around the outside of a hospital and they are not reporting issues with dropouts.

As to the -65 levels it is going to depending on the revieving device and what antenna it has in it. If it is a phone it may even depend on the way that you are holding the phone etc. 

The best way to see if it is going to work is try and get an eval unit and give it a test.

I am going to be working on one next week sometime and I may have a chance to test for you if you like.

Let me know.

• 9.  RE: AP 275 coverage

Posted May 14, 2015 11:39 PM

Thanks for the feedback

Its really appreciated!

I dont have too much experience on outdoor... i do work a lot with indoor deployments but rarely outdoor.

If you have chance and if it doesnt bother you that would be great :) 

Also im asking budget for the demo equipment for outdoor( i dot have a lot of indoor aps but none outdoor)

Cheers

Carlos

• 10.  RE: AP 275 coverage

Posted Oct 22, 2015 03:53 AM

Dear support,

I am using AP275 model in one of the college,

I fixing AP in center of building in pole height 10 mtr then i check coverage,coverage is very low

my mobile is Samsung s3 neo device is connected AP 275 but i test other device like hp laptop and Asus phone is not connected this AP275.

I check coverage outside room it come good signal strength but inside door no signal is coming. AP275 to room distanc is just 35 mtr only . why this issue came?

what is the issue?

only 5Gh devices connected but 2.4 Gh device are connected?

please give me a solution..

• 11.  RE: AP 275 coverage

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 22, 2015 08:45 AM

Coverage from the AP-275 is low inside the building even though the AP is outside of the building? What power is the AP-275 at, is this a controller-based solution or is this an Instant AP? What country is the AP-275 operating in and on what channel?

There is no support for outdoor APs located outside buildings to provide coverage inside a building, sometimes it can work and sometimes not. There could be materials in the walls that attenuate RF to a much higher degree that prevent any useful RF from getting inside. You should take a reading to get the SNR of the RF coverage right outside the wall, and then from the closest point inside the wall to the AP to measure the attenuation of the wall. If you have strong coverage outside the wall and weak coverage inside, we then know that it's the wall that is attenuating the RF, and you will likely need to install an AP inside the building.