Wireless Access

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

AP-304 external anteanna gain settings - Aruba OS8

This thread has been viewed 10 times
  • 1.  AP-304 external anteanna gain settings - Aruba OS8

Posted Sep 04, 2018 03:43 AM

Hi All,

Our setup combined 3x AP-ANT-1W antennas with an AP-304.

Now the gain values are for AP-ANT-1W:

2.4 Ghz - gain 3.8 dBi

5Ghz - gain 5.8 dBi

Within Aruba OS 8, you need to "provision" the gain settings from: Managed network> access points> select AP> configure gain> click provision. Note: The AP will not function without setting proper gain values. When gain is not set, it reports status "Unprovisioned" and "No such group" in "show ap database".

Now I configured the gain within the GUI on:

2.4 Ghz - gain 4 dBi

5Ghz - gain 6 dBi

Are the configured values correct, or do I miss some "connector loss" to take into account? (my location is Netherlands)

Thanks for the help on this!

• 2.  RE: AP-304 external anteanna gain settings - Aruba OS8

Posted Sep 04, 2018 07:04 AM

So, it appears the datasheet depics:

"AP-304/IAP-304: Three RP-SMA connectors for external dual band antennas. Worst-case internal loss between radio interface and external antenna connectors (due to diplexing circuitry): 0.8dB in 2.4GHz and 1.6dB in 5GHz"

Anyone can help me with the calculation that includes the worst-case internal loss mentioned above to come up with a correct gain value to set on the AP-304?

• 3.  RE: AP-304 external anteanna gain settings - Aruba OS8

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 04, 2018 12:24 PM

@PacketMaster wrote:

So, it appears the datasheet depics:

"AP-304/IAP-304: Three RP-SMA connectors for external dual band antennas. Worst-case internal loss between radio interface and external antenna connectors (due to diplexing circuitry): 0.8dB in 2.4GHz and 1.6dB in 5GHz"

Anyone can help me with the calculation that includes the worst-case internal loss mentioned above to come up with a correct gain value to set on the AP-304?

I use the numbers you quoted originally (4 and 6, respectively) for the ant-1w.

Taking into account the .8dB/.6dB loss would be a reduction of 1 for both values, so 3 and 5, respectively.

• 4.  RE: AP-304 external anteanna gain settings - Aruba OS8
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 04, 2018 04:07 PM

The internal loss numbers we specify in the datasheets are something our software will account for "under the hood", and do not affect the antenna gain numbers that are programmed when provisioning antennas.

You should use the gain of the actual antenna (per antenna datasheet) minus any RF loss introduced by RF extension cables (if used).

• 5.  RE: AP-304 external anteanna gain settings - Aruba OS8

Posted Sep 05, 2018 07:32 AM

Hi Onno,

Thanks a lot fot the explanation on this!

It is totally clear now.