Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

AP 314 + AP-ANT-19 + 90° Connector?

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  AP 314 + AP-ANT-19 + 90° Connector?

Posted Apr 17, 2018 09:28 AM

Hi, 

I have a question regarding the following setup:

We have a customer with a controllerbased aruba infrastructure requiring a visual low impact outdoor omni antenna.

The customer decided to go with an AP314 and omni outdoor antenna AP-ANT-19.

These antennas come with a pigtail cable, that can be directly connected to the AP.

I have two questions regarding that setup:

1) do I need to physically terminate unused antenna connectors on the AP or can I just disable those by software? If yes, is there a product number in the aruba PL for that?

2) the AP gets mounted in a pretty tight spot and the customer asked for a 90° connector to be able to fit the AP. Like this:

https://www.adaptare.de/90-Grad-Winkel-Adapter-fuer-RP-SMA-Anschluesse-wie-an-WLAN-Antennen

Is this a problem in regards to how the standing wave correlates to the cable length?

kind regards,

Jens

• 2.  RE: AP 314 + AP-ANT-19 + 90° Connector?
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 17, 2018 11:10 AM

#1 - yes any unused antenna connectors on the AP need to be terminted with a 50-ohm RPSMA terminator that you will need to source from a 3rd party. 

#2. Angled connectors won't be an issue. 

I will add that if you are only connecting a single antenna to the 314, you will need to use ANT-0 and provision it in single-chain mode. Additionally that will mean the AP will not do MIMO, will not do any 11ac functions, and will be approx 4.8dB less in transmit power and receive loss will be 4.8dB worse. The coverage from a single antenna on a 314 will be about 30% or so to what you would get with a proper 4-element antenna.

So be aware range will be short, thorughput will be low, etc.

• 3.  RE: AP 314 + AP-ANT-19 + 90° Connector?

Posted Apr 18, 2018 09:39 AM

Thanks, that is great info.

We planned to have 3 Antennas - is there a guidance for spacing between the antennas?