Wireless Access

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor II

AP-374 Antennas/Cisco 1550 Replacement?

Hello, I'm looking for what a good replacement would be for a Cisco 1550 for wireless mesh. The 1550 has external omni direct-attach antennas that seem to work better for mesh connectivity than the 'down tilt' type antennas on 365s/375s that are probably better suited for client connectivity. What is a good alternative to this setup? Can external omni antennas be direct-attached to the AP-374 to come up with a similar setup, without the antenna cover on? And how many antennas are needed, all six or is four ok? Just trying to avoid mounting multiple antennas, antenna cables, and all that. 

Any pictures of installs of something similar? 

Thanks. 

cm119_0-1585344395694.png

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor I

Re: AP-374 Antennas/Cisco 1550 Replacement?

Hi,

AP 370 Series (AP-374) can have multiple types of antennas:

https://www.arubanetworks.com/products/networking/antennas/

I would go with combining two different types of Antennas:

- Down Tilt for client service

- Depending on the area, different antenna for MESH.

img1.png

A pic i found from a different vendor with similar setup.

I know this is not precisely what you asked for, but maybe it helps a bit.

Highlighted
MVP Guru

The AP-375 or AP-377 are probably better choices:

AP-375

- 5 GHz 802.11ac 4x4 MU-MIMO (1,733 Mbps max rate) » Internal Omni Antennas 4.6 dBi

- 2.4 GHz 802.11n 2x2 MIMO (300 Mbps max rate) radios » Internal Omni Antennas 4.0 dBi

AP-377
- 5 GHz 802.11ac 4x4 MU-MIMO (1,733 Mbps max rate)

» Internal 80°H x 80°V Directional Antennas 6.3 dBi - 2.4 GHz 802.11n 2x2 MIMO (300 Mbps max rate) radios » Internal 80°H x 80°V Directional Antennas 6.4 dBi

The AP-375 should perform similar to what you have posted as an image, and if you need directional antenna the AP-377 is probably better. You will need to do a design and link-budget calculation and from there determine if you can do with built-in antenna APs or you really need to go for external antenna. Internal antenna is nearly always recommended over external, if it fits the link-budget and design. On point to point with significant distance (>300m, 1000ft) you may need high gain directional antennas, as well in very high density (stadium) to get small cells with enough capacity.

Please work with an Aruba partner that has experience on such outdoor installations, or if you have the knowledge yourself you can use the Aruba Outdoor Planner to get some idea on how the coverage would be with any type of AP and antenna.

--
If you have urgent issues, please contact your Aruba partner or Aruba TAC (click for contact details).
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor II

Thanks for the information. I do already have some 365s and 375s in mesh setups that are working, just wondering what other options are available with 374s. I did get confirmation from Aruba that direct attached antennas are supported with the 374s using AP-2x2-2005 and (qty 2) ANT-2x2-5005. Of course as discussed this is a more expensive option having to purchase the antennas. 

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: