Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

AP-387 Bridge Setup

This thread has been viewed 36 times
  • 1.  AP-387 Bridge Setup

Posted Feb 12, 2020 08:36 AM

Greetings. My company just acquired and new site and they currently have IAP-305's connected to my AirWave management console. They have just informed me that they currently have a wireless bridge thats connecting two building together and would like to upgrade that bridge to use two Aruba AP-387's. My company usually connects buildings with underground fiber, but in this case, I would like to attempt this bridge setup.

Is it possible to setup two AP-387's in bridge mode in order to get the two buildings connected? All of the IAP-305 are on a virtual controller in a cluster managed in AirWave.

• 2.  RE: AP-387 Bridge Setup

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 12, 2020 10:06 AM

You can indeed. You have a few options you would want to consider.

First I would recommend that you run the 387 in the latest 8.6. There were changes to the default 60Ghz behavior in 8.6 that makes it much more stable and secure that could not be pulled back in to 8.5. 

Also, while you CAN pull in the 387 into the same VC as the other instant APs on the network, you may want to keep them separate so that you can fully manage the bridge separately from the rest, and also prevents you from having to upgrade both indoor APs and the bridges when code upgrades occur.

From there, you can absolutely carry native and trunked VLANs over the mesh PtP. Note that max distance for the AP-387s is 400m. They are configured exactly like other Instant AP mesh devices which you can find setup in the user guide or multiple posts here on Community.

• 3.  RE: AP-387 Bridge Setup

Posted Feb 12, 2020 11:11 AM

Thanks jhoward. ill give this a try and come back if i run into an issue.

• 4.  RE: AP-387 Bridge Setup

Posted Feb 18, 2020 10:07 AM

I ran into an issue. when the AP-387's are connected to the network, they attempt to connect to the current VC thats configured. The issue with this is the AP's are 205's running 6.5.4.15_73677 firmware. Airwave is throwing up an error stating that the 387's are looking for the Hercules version of 6.5.4.15 which there isnt one from what i could find. Do to the company that these are being installed having a flat network instead of a vlan network, i cannot see how i can separate the 387's from trying to connect to the current VC. Is there a way via ssh to tell the AP's to ignore the master ip address of the VC?

• 5.  RE: AP-387 Bridge Setup

Posted Feb 20, 2020 12:28 AM

Follow this guide. The key is “standalone mode”, which will prevent the bridge APs from joining the existing cluster.

https://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Controllerless-Networks/Configuring-AP-387-for-Point-to-Point-link/m-p/554115

• 6.  RE: AP-387 Bridge Setup
    Best Answer

Posted Feb 21, 2020 12:34 PM

• 7.  RE: AP-387 Bridge Setup

Posted Feb 21, 2020 01:57 PM

thanks, ill try this and see if it works for me.

• 8.  RE: AP-387 Bridge Setup

Posted Feb 25, 2020 10:47 AM

so when i ssh into the 387's and try to go into the config terminal i get an error stating something along the lines for not being able to use configuration terminal due to it being degraded.

and i assuming this is because the 387s are on the same subnet as the current virtual controller and is trying to connect with the vc. 

the only way around this would be to create a new subnet and vlan and place the 387s in it until im done with configurations.

But i do have a questions. is it possible to install 6.5.4.15_73677 on the 385's? the reason being is the logs are reporting the below when trying to connect to the VC. Im thinking if i let it install this firmware on the 387's then i can go in via ssh and modify the things i need to do standalone mode. But i dont want to brick the 387's if they cannot take this firmware.

"Could not find suitable firmware image:6.5.4.15-6.5.4.15_73677(Hercules) for ArubaInstant"

• 9.  RE: AP-387 Bridge Setup

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 25, 2020 11:04 AM

Did you try "standalone mode", based on the few posts above?  That would eliminate the AP having to connect to the existing cluster.  I don't believe there is a Hercules build for 6.5.x, so standalone mode would be your only option.

• 10.  RE: AP-387 Bridge Setup

Posted Feb 25, 2020 12:26 PM

im going to try that once i get the AP-387 on its own network.

Since the VC that the AP-387 is trying to connect to is managed by AirWave, i cannot make any changes via SSH or the GUI. And on AirWave, i cannot see the AP-387 due to a firmware mismatch. I will reply back once i have the AP on its own network.

• 11.  RE: AP-387 Bridge Setup

Posted Feb 27, 2020 08:56 AM

got the ap working in standalone mode after connecting it to a console cable. ill now follow the bridge guide that linked above. thanks for the help.

• 12.  RE: AP-387 Bridge Setup

Posted Mar 13, 2020 09:01 AM

Update... after having Aruba support help, i have 6 IAP 305's and 2 AP-387s in a cluster. The 6 IAP 305's and 1 of the AP-387's are in portal mode. We have disabled extended SSID and created the mesh-link. As soon as i place one of the AP-387s to eth0 bridge enable to become the Point AP and reboot it, it disconnects no longer shows up in the cluster. Aruba tech support cannot figure out why this is happening. If i connect a console cable to the AP, its able to ping the portal AP-387 but none of the portal IAP-305's. All of the devices are on 8.6.0.2.

• 13.  RE: AP-387 Bridge Setup

Posted Mar 13, 2020 01:51 PM

disregard the last post. I figured out i needed to reboot the entire cluster and it all works now.