Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

AP-535 Power Restricted with Aruba Switch 2930F

This thread has been viewed 51 times
  • 1.  AP-535 Power Restricted with Aruba Switch 2930F

Posted Aug 20, 2020 05:33 AM

2930F delivers power max. 30W (802.3at) but why AP shown Power Restricted.

I tried to configure power-over-ethernet to Critical.

The result is the same.

LLDP is enabled.

• 2.  RE: AP-535 Power Restricted with Aruba Switch 2930F
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 20, 2020 03:08 PM

What restrictions exactly? Or is it just that the system LED is amber?

Some code versions show an amber LED, even if the restrictions from 802.3at (30W) POE are minimal (USB port, second ethernet).

I believe the LED status was adjusted in recent code.

You could enable IPM to avoid the restrictions (and LED should turn green).

• 3.  RE: AP-535 Power Restricted with Aruba Switch 2930F

Posted Aug 20, 2020 11:58 PM

AP Flags shown 2r and LED is amber.

I already configured IPM

• 4.  RE: AP-535 Power Restricted with Aruba Switch 2930F

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Aug 21, 2020 03:50 AM

It will not restrict your radio's by default (on this model). Only the USB and secondary UTP interface are disabled.

@Onno in which code this is changed? I have also the orange led, and i hate orange in perspective of leds offcourse ::)). What you say is when configure IPM the status will be green?

• 5.  RE: AP-535 Power Restricted with Aruba Switch 2930F

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 21, 2020 12:01 PM

Not sure about the code version, but enabling IPM should turn the LED green regardless (without affecting AP-535 operation, unless you use USB and draw a fair amount of power from it)

• 6.  RE: AP-535 Power Restricted with Aruba Switch 2930F

Posted Dec 09, 2020 05:50 AM
    Hi. the AP 535 requires 60 Watt POE however can operate at 30 Watts. on the switch side you can configure the port as follows:
    #(config): Interface X
    #(eth-x): poe-value 30

this will then force the switch to provide the 30 watts. the AP will then shut down 1 radio.

------------------------------
    Bhavin Bhaga

• 7.  RE: AP-535 Power Restricted with Aruba Switch 2930F

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 09, 2020 03:26 PM
    When the POE power source is "limited" to 30W (802.3at), the AP has a guaranteed budget of 25.5W (cabling losses).
    In that situation, the AP-535 doe NOT turn off or any radios or reduce any radio capabilities. By default (with the IPM feature disabled), the AP will disable the USB port and the second/other ethernet ports. Typically not a big problem.
    With IPM enabled, the AP-535 does not initially disable anything in this situation but may dynamically do so if the actual/measured power consumption exceeds that 25.5W budget. That will be extremely rare, since the worst-case power consumption is almost never realized in a real-world deployment. Also, IPM allows you to configure what restrictions will be applied in this rare situation, and in what order. For example, if it is critical to keep the USB and other ethernet port available, you could decide to allow IPM to reduce RF power, throttle the CPU, reduce the number of MIMO chains, etc. first.
    Again, it is extremely rare for the AP-535 to need more than 25.5W (I have never observed one outside of our test labs), but to 100% avoid that, you could either use an 802.3bt (class 5 or higher) POE source, or connect both ethernet ports to an 802.3at (class 4) POE source and use our Smart POE feature to combine power from both sources.

Onno Harms