Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

AP Failover and Client DHCP

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  AP Failover and Client DHCP

Posted Feb 06, 2018 03:51 PM

I've inherited an Aruba setup and am trying to both reverse engineer it and determine what needs to be fixed.

I have a Master controller and a local controller.
    The ap system-profile is configured with backup-lms to the master. 

When the local fails, the APs *do* failover to the Master successfully. The issue we found is that new Clients were not able to get an IP Address during this period. DHCP is currently configured on the site router for the particular SSID in question - it is not on the controllers.

My question is, what's the configuration needed (if it's possible) to allow that a new client would still obtain an IP Address when the local controller has failed and the AP is now connected to the Master.

Thanks

• 2.  RE: AP Failover and Client DHCP

Posted Feb 06, 2018 03:52 PM

sorry for multiple posts - it kept erroring when I was attmpting to post saying try again later..

• 3.  RE: AP Failover and Client DHCP

Posted Jun 05, 2019 03:22 PM

Did you ever find a config/solution for this?

• 4.  RE: AP Failover and Client DHCP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 05, 2019 05:24 PM

If the controller the AP is failed over to, does not have the client VLAN on a local port, it will not get an ip address.

• 5.  RE: AP Failover and Client DHCP

Posted Jun 12, 2019 08:42 AM

"If the controller the AP is failed over to, does not have the client VLAN on a local port, it will not get an ip address."

The secondary controller is properly configured with a client VLAN on a local port, but as that controller is geographically distant from the primary, the client VLAN is a different subnet.

• 6.  RE: AP Failover and Client DHCP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 12, 2019 09:47 AM

Right.  When the AP fails over, it should send a deauth to all clients on that AP.  The clients should re-ip when they reconnect.