Wireless Access

Occasional Contributor I

AP Groups under 8.4

Hi all, I'm trying to clone an existing AP Group using

config t

ap-group new_APgroup

clone old_APgroup

on the Mobility master.  

The problem I'm running in to is that the old group only exists on the MDs, so it throws the error: AP group "Old_APgroup" undefined.

But if I run the same commands on one of the MDs, the group gets cloned, but only exists on one of the MDs.

How do I clone an existing AP Group so that it shows up on both managed devices?

Thanks for any insight.

-Bill

Guru Elite

Re: AP Groups under 8.4

You need to make sure you clone at the level where the ap-group was created.  It is best to make all of your base configuration at the same folder level.  MD-specific configs should be few and far in between, for exceptions.

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.4 User Guide
InstantOS 8.3 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Aruba Central Documentation
Aruba Technical Webinars
Occasional Contributor I

Thanks Cjoseph.  I may be a little confused.  Since we only recently added the mobility master and upgraded to version 8, I think all of our AP Groups were made on the MDs which used to be the Aruba Master and Aruba Local.  Are you saying that if I want to clone an existing group, it can only be done on the MD?  If so, how can I get it replicated to the other MD?  Do I have to clone it twice?

Thanks, 

-Bill

Guru Elite

Pump. Brakes.

How many controllers do you have?

What relationship do they have with each other?

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.4 User Guide
InstantOS 8.3 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Aruba Technical Webinars
Occasional Contributor I

I have 2 MDs configured as failover devices for one another. Additionally we have a Mobility Master.  

Untitled.png

Guru Elite

The only place you should be doing configuration is on the Mobility Master.

ArubaOS 8.4 User Guide
InstantOS 8.3 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Aruba Technical Webinars
Occasional Contributor I

Right.  That's what I thought.  But the AP Groups don't exist on the Mobility master.  They only exist on the MDs.  So how do I clone one of the existing AP groups?

(VMNOCNMArubaM01) ^*[mynode] #configure terminal 
Enter Configuration commands, one per line. End with CNTL/Z

(VMNOCNMArubaM01) ^*[mynode] (config) #ap-group new_APgroup
(VMNOCNMArubaM01) ^*[mynode] (AP group "new_APGroup") #clone EducationalServiceCenter
AP group "EducationalServiceCenter" undefined.
(VMNOCNMArubaM01) ^*[mynode] #show AP-group 

AP group List
-------------
Name            Profile Status
----            --------------
DLI-with2.4Ghz  
NoAuthApGroup   Predefined (changed)

Total:3
(VMNOCNMArubaM01) ^*[mynode] (AP group "new_APGroup") #cd psd-md01 
(VMNOCNMArubaM01) ^*[00:1a:1e:00:61:58] (config) #mdconnect 

Redirecting to Managed Device Shell

(psd-md01) [MDC] *#show ap-group 

AP group List
-------------
Name                           Profile Status
----                           --------------
APDES-RMP5                     
APMES-RMP6                     
APTSD-CENTER                   
AElementarySchool      
DElementarySchool      
EducationalServiceCenter       
EElementarySchool      
GHighSchool            
GMiddleSchool            
HElementarySchool  
HMiddleSchool        
HendersonBayHighSchool         
KMiddleSchool       
KMiddleSchool          
MElementarySchool    
Mobil-AP-Group                 
NoAuthApGroup                  Predefined (changed)
PHighSchool            
PElementarySchool          
VElementarySchool         
V2ElementarySchool        

Total:22
Highlighted
Contributor II

It looks as you are attempting to create / clone the ap-group at MM vs the node level. 

The below prompt "mynode" is referring to mobility master configuration in the CLI. 

(VMNOCNMArubaM01) ^*[mynode]

The prompt below would be referring to the configuration in the Managed Networks => PSD heirarchy. 

(VMNOCNMArubaM01) *[PSD]

The ^ shows that you have a pending config, if you want to know what is pending you can easially display that. 

- show configuration pending

If you dont see anything in the output, you may have changed directories, and the pending config is only displayed if you are in that location. To display where the pending config exists, you can run the following. 

- show configuration unsaved-nodes

Just keep in mind if you make changes to different heirarchy's it may bark at you as you cant commit the changes all at once. You may have to keep changing directories to commit the changes. 

If you navigate to the PSD folder you can look at the config you have commited there. If the AP-Groups exist there, you can clone them easially. 

Just keep in mind when you are running show commands in the mynode prompt. These are showing the output on the MM config and not the MD configs. 

Here are some commands that will help you understand where you are and how to navigate. 

- show configuration node-hierarchy

displays the config heirarchy, and you can understand that mynode falls under /mm/mynode. You will also see where PSD exists, and it falls under /md/PSD. You will also see that your controllers mac address fall under /md/PSD/ as well. This means that all of the config in /md and /md/PSD will be applied to the controllers. 

- show switches debug

similar to the above command but only tells you where the controller lives vs the whole directory tree. 

- show config commited

once you are in a folder, you can run this command it will show you all of the config that is under that folder only. This does not show configs from parent folder. If you navigate to PSD... cd /md/PSD, you can see if your ap-groups are created here. If they are, you need to do the cloning here or level below. You do not want to clone something on the controller itself as that config will not exist on the other box. 

- show configuration effective detail

this command will show where the config is effective. If a config is applied at /md but then overwritten at /md/PSD. The effective config will be listed in /md/PSD. The further the nesting goes the more specific the config will be. If you dont know where the config is learned from, you can always perform the "cd controller-name" and then run this command. It will show you at every level where the config is learned. 

If you wanted to see where the ap-groups were configured. You can run..... 

=> cd psd-md01
=> show configuration effective detail | include ap-group

Your output will show you where it is inheriated from, and from there you can change directories and perform the config commands as you would normally do. 

Running any show commands on MM will not display the output of whats on the controller. Commands like "show reference" no longer work the same when run on MM. It will display the confing on MM vs the config on the MD. Its best to login to the controller directly and run the show commands. 

When you want to connect to the MD's there are a couple ways to perform that task. The command mdconnect works although you need to change directories first. You can also use the logon x.x.x.x from the mynode heirarchy. Its a bit quicker as you dont need to change to the controller heirarchy first, then to get redirected with ssh. 

Once you understand where the commands are being run and where the config lives. I think you will be able to understand where you need to be in order to clone. 

Good luck! 

Justin Kwasnik | ACMX# 598 | ACCX# 638
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: