Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

AP Power Operational vs Hardware States

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  AP Power Operational vs Hardware States

MVP
    Posted Feb 03, 2020 09:58 PM

Can somebody please tell me the difference between the POE Operational State and POE Hardware State for an AP? 

Operational State POE-AT: No restrictions (Overridden by LLDP)
    ----------------- --------------------------------------------
    Current HW State POE-AF: One Ethernet port disabled; USB port disabled; 1x1 chain for 2.4GHz; 16dBm for 5GHz
    LLDP Negotiated POE Power 25.0W

In our case, Operational indicates 802.3at power, but Hardware states 802.3af. Looking to understand if the AP is actually running in power-save mode or not, as well as why hardware would only show 802.3af when LLDP negotiates 802.3at.

• 2.  RE: AP Power Operational vs Hardware States
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 04, 2020 01:14 AM

The result of hardware POE negotiation was 802.3af (class 3 or lower), but after software negotiation (LLDP) the state was upgraded to 802.3at (class 4) with a negotiated power budget of 25.0W.

Switches can use hardware or software negotiation to deliver more than the basic 802.3af POE budget. An AP needs to support both.

• 3.  RE: AP Power Operational vs Hardware States

MVP
    Posted Feb 04, 2020 06:02 AM
    Thank you for clarifying! All of the other documentation I found showed POE-AT listed for both so I wasn't sure if I was missing something, but sounds like LLDP is doing it's job.

Thanks again.