Wireless Access

last person joined: 19 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

AP Resiliency To Ocean Conditions

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  AP Resiliency To Ocean Conditions

Posted Sep 27, 2012 04:59 PM

I'm looking at deploying an Aruba solution on an individual's yacht. At this time they are only concerned with providing coverage to the interior so all of the AP's will be "indoor". My concern is how well the AP's hold up against corrosion or any other high-humidity environments like you would find at sea.

Has anyone done anything like this? I'm also curious about how signal propogates throughout fiber-glass and wood walls. Thanks in advance.

• 2.  RE: AP Resiliency To Ocean Conditions
    Best Answer

Posted Sep 28, 2012 12:42 AM

Clayman,

If the yacht is climate controlled then indoor APs are obviously the way to go.  Fiberglass and/or wood are conventional materials and won't impede signal propagation much more than you'd expect in a typical indoor environment.  Much easier to design for than steel bulkheads.

If no climate control, then indoor APs are still an option but you have to make a call about whether to put them in an enclosure.  Without knowing the details of the yacht it's hard to guide you.  If you can provide some more details I can be more specific.

the AP175 thin AP and MSR2000 autonomous AP are IP66 rated and corrosion resistant.  But the enhanced cost of these units might make them a challenge on a smaller boat.  Also, you'll need external antennas for these models. 

External antennas can be an advantage - on a larger boat where aesthetics are critical, a patch/panel antenna connected to a remote AP may be most attractive and/or least intrusive.  

• 3.  RE: AP Resiliency To Ocean Conditions

Posted Oct 05, 2012 01:40 PM

Thank you. That is very heflpful information!