Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

AP System Profiles

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  AP System Profiles

Posted Jan 28, 2014 10:05 AM

I have a quesiton, currently our ap system-profile is on our public management network(MGMT network is the AP's IP address). I have to create a new MGMT network, my question is when I create this new MGMT network on the controller, do I have to create a new ap system-profile?  My understanding is the LMS is the controller that manages the AP and its traffic

lms-ip parameter to direct the AP to the mobility controller on which it should terminate its GRE tunnel

Note: The current MGMT network will not go away with the creation of the new MGMT yet that's a future project.

• 2.  RE: AP System Profiles

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 28, 2014 10:17 AM

You don't have to change it, if the ip address on the controller is not going away.  The LMS IP is simply an ip address that the AP can reach on the controller.

• 3.  RE: AP System Profiles

Posted Jan 28, 2014 10:27 AM

So when we do get rid of the current MGMT network assoicated with the ap system profile, that's when I create a new ap system profile

Correct?

• 4.  RE: AP System Profiles

Posted Jan 28, 2014 11:26 AM

Yep. At that point you'd definately repoint the system profile LMS.

Actually, depending on the VLAN/subnet where your APs are, there's an argument that you'd be better off re-pointing the LMS setting before you remove the MGMT network as a controlled change. It will be a bit more de-risked that way.

When you should do it is partly dependant on...

1. Are the APs on a different subnet to the controller IPs today? And will they be when you make this change?

2. How are the APs discovering the controller in the first place? DHCP? DNS? ADP?

Thanks.

• 5.  RE: AP System Profiles

Posted Jan 28, 2014 03:23 PM

The controller IP is different from the AP's and AP system profile and the new MGMT network will be different than the controller's IP. The AP's and AP system profile are on the same network. I'm moving all AP's to our internal network but I'm creaing a new MGMT network for the AP's to connect to. The AP's are discovered by DHCP.

It sounds like i might have to create a new ap system profile for the new MGMT network the AP's will connect

• 6.  RE: AP System Profiles
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 28, 2014 03:37 PM

The ONLY requirement for the LMS-IP is that the access points are able to contact the controller on that address.  It can be the controller's existing ip address if you want.  The LMS-IP only tells the access points what ip address to connect to the controller on.

• 7.  RE: AP System Profiles
    Best Answer

Posted Jan 28, 2014 06:15 PM

If you're discovering the controller via DHCP, that's the critical change for you (where APs are on different subnets to the controller IPs).

I.e. I would...

1. Create your new IP interface and VLAN on the controller (the new MGMT)

2. Then change your DHCP option settings (if these point at an old address you intend to remove), and test discovery (reboot some APs)

3. Then set the LMS as you desire in the system profiles moving forward (as CJ says, this only affects AP homing AFTER discovery), and test APs attach to the intended controller

4. Remove any legacy IP/VLAN config when you know you're not using it.

This way, you should be able to back out any step if you hit a problem.

• 8.  RE: AP System Profiles

Posted Jan 28, 2014 10:24 PM

I appreciate the input from both of you this makes alot more sense now.

Thank You