Wireless Access

last person joined: 19 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

AP Termination in Master-Local AOS 8.1

This thread has been viewed 6 times
  • 1.  AP Termination in Master-Local AOS 8.1

Posted May 30, 2017 01:10 PM

I fully understand that in a AOS 8.x environment, where a Mobility Master is enabled with a cluster or multiple cluster of Managed Devices (Controllers), the AP must have their initial DNS "aruba-master" or other method pointed to one of the MD in the cluster, and that only MD can terminate AP's.  

In a Master-Local AOS 8.1 environment can the Master Controller still terminate AP's?  I have many clients with only two controllers and this solution still makes sense.  I understand some features are only available via AOS 8.x in MM mode with clusters, but those features do not outweigh the simple two controller solution.  I have not been able to find a definitive answer in the release notes or configuration guide concerning AOS 8.1 Master-Local Mode.   

• 2.  RE: AP Termination in Master-Local AOS 8.1

Posted May 30, 2017 01:12 PM
    Yes , you can still use the Master\Local design scenario

• 3.  RE: AP Termination in Master-Local AOS 8.1

Posted May 30, 2017 01:31 PM

Victor,

Thank you for the quick reply.  Do you have documentation from Aruba?  I'd love to have a reference.

Thanks again.

Jamie

• 4.  RE: AP Termination in Master-Local AOS 8.1

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 30, 2017 01:47 PM

OK. A 8.x Mobility Master cannot terminate any APs. AP adoption will also not work meaning that your AP discovery (Option 43 or DNS) must point to a manged device under the MM. 

As for migration there are two options:

1. Do not use a mobility master (VM or HW) and use "master controller mode" which delivers the new UI and some of the new features but allows you to upgrade and not have to deploy a new appliance. NOTE that you cannot terminate APs on a controller in Master Controller Mode. 

2. Use the MM and gain all the benefits and get a two-node cluster with Live Upgrade, Seamless Failovers, and User/AP load balancing. Possible expansions into DMZ/RAP controllers, Branch networks with a branch gateway, etc...are also possible.

So, yes, there is another appliance needed but there are several benefits in deploying one. Keep in mind, we have also released a MM-50 SKU for smaller/lab deployments as well. 

• 5.  RE: AP Termination in Master-Local AOS 8.1

Posted May 30, 2017 04:53 PM

Seth,

Thank you for looking at this.  In this case, its not a question about Mobility Master 8.x solutions.  This partains to only the Master-Local AOS 8.1 solution.  According to Victor, the first response, Master-Local 8.1 Mode configurations allow for direct AP termination on the Master Controller.  

I asked Victor for documenation.  I did not see the ability in the AOS 8.1 Release Notes or User Guide about Master-Local Controller Mode specifically terminating AP's.  If you have that documentation, please share.

Thank you!

• 6.  RE: AP Termination in Master-Local AOS 8.1

Posted May 30, 2017 06:56 PM
    My previous post is not correct , please use Seth answer

• 7.  RE: AP Termination in Master-Local AOS 8.1

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 31, 2017 08:25 AM

I will re-confirm this. In 8.x, NO AP termination of any sort is allowed on a Mobility Master (HW or VM) nor a controller acting in Master Controller Mode. 

This includes AP discovery and provisioning meaning that APs cannot terminate to any "master" just to be provisioned elsewhere either. 

• 8.  RE: AP Termination in Master-Local AOS 8.1

Posted May 31, 2017 08:48 AM
    <EDIT>

• 9.  RE: AP Termination in Master-Local AOS 8.1

Posted Jun 02, 2017 06:27 PM

I add some questions regarding AOS 8.x

Not being able to terminate APs to a Master in AOS 8.x.

Does this only apply to a Master-Local scenario (Master Controller Mode)?

What about Master Active - Master Standby?

Let's say you have two controllers running 8.x, can you run them as Master Active - Master Standby and terminate APs on the Master?

Or is it impossible to build redundancy with two controller running 8.x without a Mobility Master?

• 10.  RE: AP Termination in Master-Local AOS 8.1
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 02, 2017 07:11 PM
    No. No APs can terminate on a mobility master or a controller running master controller mode. Redundancy could be somewhat achieved with two standalone controllers but there are several benefits you'd lose

• 11.  RE: AP Termination in Master-Local AOS 8.1

Posted Jun 04, 2017 01:07 PM

How do you achieve redundancy with two standalone controllers?

If running a Mobility Master then I need atleast two controllers to achieve redundancy in AOS 8?

Regarding not being able to terminate APs on a controller running Master Controller Mode, is this by design or something that will work in future updates?

• 12.  RE: AP Termination in Master-Local AOS 8.1

Posted Jul 25, 2017 12:58 PM

Hi,

I did have the same questions as you. What I have found is that you have to stick with 6.x if you want to do a Master-local style of deployment and terminate APs on a Master.

Regards

Philip

• 13.  RE: AP Termination in Master-Local AOS 8.1

Posted May 08, 2018 07:09 AM

anyone have answer for this? 

we have 2 datazone controller that is running 2 standalone mode but the AP doesnt failvover to the standby standalone controller even LMS IP and HA group configured

• 14.  RE: AP Termination in Master-Local AOS 8.1

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 16, 2018 04:04 PM

This sounds like a different issue than the one the thread originally discussed. Please start a new thread so we can walk through why your APs are not detecting the primary LMS failure and reverting to the backup LMS.

• 15.  RE: AP Termination in Master-Local AOS 8.1

Posted Feb 01, 2018 01:06 PM

Will Aruba allow AP termination on virtual controller AOS8.X anytime soon or ever?

Regards Nick

• 16.  RE: AP Termination in Master-Local AOS 8.1

MVP GURU
    Posted Feb 01, 2018 01:18 PM

wrote:

Will Aruba allow AP termination on virtual controller AOS8.X anytime soon or ever?

Regards Nick

it is only impossible with Mobility Master ! it is possible with VMC (Virtual Mobility Controller)