Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

AP Wizard goof -- used automatic discovery instead of manual

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  AP Wizard goof -- used automatic discovery instead of manual

Posted Apr 10, 2012 05:41 PM

I re-provisioned 81 air-monitors in distant locations this afternoon.

I hadn't realized that "automatic" meant ADP only -- I was thinking it meant "like default" which uses aruba-master after ADP fails.

So now that I have all of them effectively isolated, has anybody had any luck tricking the discovery protocol into working over the WAN? or will I have to dispatch a technician to every store to manually correct them all?

--Matthew

• 2.  RE: AP Wizard goof -- used automatic discovery instead of manual

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 10, 2012 05:44 PM

@msabin wrote:

I re-provisioned 81 air-monitors in distant locations this afternoon.

I hadn't realized that "automatic" meant ADP only -- I was thinking it meant "like default" which uses aruba-master after ADP fails.

So now that I have all of them effectively isolated, has anybody had any luck tricking the discovery protocol into working over the WAN? or will I have to dispatch a technician to every store to manually correct them all?

--Matthew

Since the APs reboot every few minutes, you could try configuring DHCP opton 43 and 60 at that site....

• 3.  RE: AP Wizard goof -- used automatic discovery instead of manual

Posted Apr 10, 2012 05:57 PM

All of them are statically assigned IP addresses, gateway, netmast and DNS servers -- no DHCP in their VLAN.

They had been looking up aruba-master and connecting, now they broadcast on port 8200 and reboot and keep broadcasting...

sigh.

• 4.  RE: AP Wizard goof -- used automatic discovery instead of manual
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 10, 2012 06:05 PM

Okay.  Advice, hail mary edition:

If you have a Cisco layer3 switch at that location with the APs, you can configure an ip helper-address to point to the ip address of the controller on the ip interface:

config t

interface vlan 11

ip helper-address <ip address of Aruba Controller>

In addition, you would also have to configure the switch to forward port 8200:

config t

ip forward-protocol udp 8200

Good luck... :(

• 5.  RE: AP Wizard goof -- used automatic discovery instead of manual

Posted Apr 10, 2012 07:38 PM

We're using Adtran 1335 layer2/3 switches, but the command structure is similar.

I've broken an AP in the lab to match the 81 production APs and this helper-sleight-of-hand works!

No to test it on a few live sites...

Thanks for the tip.  I was starting to try to do the same thing trough policy-based-routes.  The helper-address is much simpler.

I'll let you know how the live sites go when I come up for air.

--Matthew

• 6.  RE: AP Wizard goof -- used automatic discovery instead of manual

Posted Apr 10, 2012 10:40 PM

It worked like a charm, then using the wizard to specify hostname brok them again.

Turns out manually re-provisioning works every time, the wizard breaks something -- but not for all access points. Two of them came back on the second "correct" wizard run.

I'll re-fix them all and re-re-provision them manually and get this behind me.

Thanks again!

• 7.  RE: AP Wizard goof -- used automatic discovery instead of manual

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 10, 2012 10:43 PM

Can you try AP installation instead of the wizard to provsion your APs?

• 8.  RE: AP Wizard goof -- used automatic discovery instead of manual

Posted Apr 11, 2012 11:44 AM

That works fine, I was trying to go for the least-work ;)