Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

AP connected to VMC - wireless clients not getting IP address

This thread has been viewed 8 times
  • 1.  AP connected to VMC - wireless clients not getting IP address

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 06, 2019 12:43 PM

Hi, 

I've been struggling with something that probably shouldn't be this difficult and any help would be appreciated! I'm currently using a physical controller as my DHCP server and gateway. All required VLANs have been configured on my controller and switch. All connected devices are in the correct VLAN and have the associated IP address.

I have my gateway connected to my home router and my switch and my ESXi server and AP also connected to my switch. I'm able to get an internet connection via the switch.

To break it down:

1. I have the following VLANS and what's connected to them

1. VLAN 10 - Management (Mobilty Master)
    2. VLAN 20 - Controllers (Virtual Mobilty Controller)
    3. VLAN 30 - APs (AP 303P)
    4. VLAN 40 - Users (SSID on VLAN 40)

2. At first, my AP couldn't connect to my VMC becuase of certificate issues so I had to disable CPSEC - APs can now connect

3. Wireless clients on VLAN 40 (connected to my AP) are not able to recieve an IP address from the DHCP server.

4. I can ping VLAN 40 from my VMC 

I've attached an image of my ESXi vSwitch.

Screenshot 2019-11-06 at 17.32.24.png

• 2.  RE: AP connected to VMC - wireless clients not getting IP address

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 10, 2019 04:20 PM

Hi Doja,

Do you have configured promiscuous mode for the port groups and VLAN's on the ESXi? 

• 3.  RE: AP connected to VMC - wireless clients not getting IP address

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 11, 2019 03:36 AM

In your screenshot, you have not connected VLAN40 to your VMC1 and VMC2. And indeed verify the security settings on the port group and vSwitch.

• 4.  RE: AP connected to VMC - wireless clients not getting IP address

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 12, 2019 12:58 PM

Turns out it was a vSwitch issue! I had to trunk it using vlan ID 4095. Everything works as it should minus not being able to connect up more than one AP - but that's a problem for another day.

Thanks!