Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

AP doesn't connect to controller

This thread has been viewed 11 times
  • 1.  AP doesn't connect to controller

Posted Mar 20, 2017 10:18 AM
      |   view attached

Hi guys,

I have been trying to solve a problem for a few days. I have a single controller and an Instant AP in a network. The network is tiny as the controller and the AP are in the same VLAN and are connected by a switch. I have configured the controller and I can ping successfuly the AP from the controller, so they see each other. In addition, the IAP gets its IP by DHCP, then everything works well.

But when I convert the IAP to Campus AP to be managed by the controller, I can't see the AP at the controller dashboard:

convertAP.PNG

contrdashboard.PNG

If a wait a while, I can see the WLAN "instant" in my PC, and if a connect to it, I get the IAP web GUI, then I don't know if the AP has been converted to campus AP or not, and if not, why not?

Do you know what can be the problem? I am new in this and I don't know how to troubleshoot this. Any workaround? I have attached the controller configuration. Please help me.

Regards,

Julián

Attachment(s)

txt
    controllerconfig.txt   26 KB 1 version

• 2.  RE: AP doesn't connect to controller

• 3.  RE: AP doesn't connect to controller

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Mar 20, 2017 10:33 AM

Hey, can you confirm the version of ArubaOS code you are running on the controller and the InstantOS code you are running on the IAP (and the model too!)? Only certain versions will work!

Do you see anything in the controller logs? If you run the below?

#show log all | include XXXX (where XXX is MAC of IAP)

Also take a look at this video as well :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkdaqwwPxvo

• 4.  RE: AP doesn't connect to controller

Posted Mar 20, 2017 11:37 AM

Hi guys,

I have seen the links you provided but the problem continues. I have tryied to convert againt the IAP by the GUI, but it seems the IAP doesn't convert.

I have also whitelisted the AP on the controller, but I think it doesn't matter because the control plane security is disabled on the controller:

Again I can see the "instant" WLAN in my PC and connect to it and get the IAP GUI. What can the problem be? I have attached the some logs of both devices.

Edit: I have also attached the ArubaOS of both devices, is the AP ArubaOS newer than the controller's?

Regards,

Julián

Attachment(s)

txt
    aplogs.txt   1 KB 1 version
    txt
    controllerlogs.txt   2 KB 1 version

• 5.  RE: AP doesn't connect to controller
    Best Answer

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Mar 20, 2017 11:55 AM

According  to the datasheet for the AP325 it appears the minumum supported ArubaOS version is ArubaOS 6.4.4.0. It looks like you are running ArubaOS 6.4.3.8, have you tried upgrading to ArubaOS 6.4.4.0 and trying again?

http://www.arubanetworks.com/assets/ds/DS_AP320Series.pdf

• 6.  RE: AP doesn't connect to controller

Posted Mar 20, 2017 12:30 PM

Hi zailon0,

Yes, it seems I need to upgrade my controller. I will upgrade and let you know if it works.

Thanks,

Julián

• 7.  RE: AP doesn't connect to controller

Posted Mar 20, 2017 01:45 PM

Hi zailon0,

I have upgraded my controller to ArubaOS 6.4.4.12 and now I can see the AP from the controller dashboard. The controller ArubaOS was the problem. Thank you very much.

APdetected.PNG

Best Regards,

Julián