Wireless Access

last person joined: 15 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

AP down - constantly requesting DHCP

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  AP down - constantly requesting DHCP

Posted Aug 12, 2014 02:01 PM

I am showing DHCP requests and acknowledgements every few seconds for a single AP.  The AP shows down in the AP database.

• 2.  RE: AP down - constantly requesting DHCP

Posted Aug 12, 2014 02:31 PM
    Sounds like the AP is bouncing. Can you check the switch port it is connect to? It may be a faulty AP, bad cabling, bad switch port, etc?

• 3.  RE: AP down - constantly requesting DHCP

Posted Aug 12, 2014 03:39 PM

Yes it seems to be bouncing.  I cannot check it as of now since it is off site.  If it is not bad cabling etc, could it be another issue causing this AP to bounce up and down?  Could running a purge command and reboot clear the issue ?  The APs are not instant and get their config pushed from the controller.

• 4.  RE: AP down - constantly requesting DHCP

Posted Aug 12, 2014 04:44 PM
    Typical controller config issues don?t cause the APs to bounce. They might stick to the controller and not become active due to licensing or config, but they usually don?t bounce. Bounces are (at least in my experience) caused by faulty APs, cabling or switch port configuration. Is the AP on the same VLAN/subnet as the controller? How is the AP finding a master controller if not (DHCP, DNS, statically assigned, etc)? You can TRY to purge it. Never hurts to try.

• 5.  RE: AP down - constantly requesting DHCP

Posted Aug 12, 2014 04:54 PM

The AP's and controller are all on VLAN 1.  The controller is statically assigned a gateway to the main router.  From there the router can get to the web and reach airwave in a seperate datacenter.  Infoblox is providing dhcp and gateway information.