Wireless Access

last person joined: 19 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

AP historical client data

This thread has been viewed 7 times
  • 1.  AP historical client data

Posted Oct 07, 2013 12:21 PM

I am newish to AirWave and can't seem to find some data I am looking for.

If I search for a client I can see all of the previous APs it has connected to.  If I click an AP and look at the details I can see all currently connected clients.

What I am looking for is, click an AP and see clients that were connected at say 9:00AM.  I would be happy for a report that shows all clients connected to AP from 9:00AM-10:00AM with duration if possible.

I am troubleshooting a strange connectivity issue and I need to correlate the clients that are connected to a specific AP to packet loss.

Any ideas?

• 2.  RE: AP historical client data

Posted Oct 07, 2013 01:46 PM

What version you installed ? If you search for the Mac address or username you can get the historial association data 

In the recent versions you can determine the type of search

local-amp-g1_2013-10-07_13-39-49.png

If the device is currently connected then you can go to the client detail tab

local-amp-g1_2013-10-07_13-42-41.png

You could also change the default search method under the user info preferences 

local-amp-g1_2013-10-07_13-43-59.png

• 3.  RE: AP historical client data

Posted Oct 07, 2013 01:58 PM

Thanks for the reply Victor but I don't think that is what I am looking for.

I need something like:

AP45 9:00AM-10:00AM

-- Client X

-- Client Y

-- Client Z

I need to see what clients were connected to a specific AP at a specific time.   The data is there since I can see it the other way around as you pointed out.

I hope that makes it more clear.

Thanks.

• 4.  RE: AP historical client data

Posted Oct 07, 2013 03:15 PM

The other way around only shows connected clients , you can do this by running a New Client Report for that AP for those specific times

• 5.  RE: AP historical client data

Posted Oct 08, 2013 08:49 AM

I'm looking for a similar report but the New client Report doesn't appear to do what I wanted.  What I'm hoping to do via a report is step back in time and see who was on an access point at any given time without having to look at every client to see what AP they were on at that time.

• 6.  RE: AP historical client data

Posted Oct 08, 2013 11:36 AM

Ditto to rosie's comment.  That is the same info I am looking for, I can't seem to make the New Client report work either.

• 7.  RE: AP historical client data
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 08, 2013 12:18 PM

You're looking to try to do the following:

Go to AP/Device list

Above the list is a 'modify devices' link -> click on that to get checkboxes next to the device names

bulkmodbefore.jpg  -> -> -> bulkmodafter.jpg

Select devices you're trying to focus on

Then below the list table, choose the 'run report' option

bulkmodrunreport.jpg

This will take you into the report definition wizard where you can create a report definition for that device

In this case, client session report -> with include details about every session and every client toggled

Start and end time is relative to the time frame of the reported event. For example: Monday 9am - Monday 10am (this would give a report for clients that were on the selected APs between 9am and 10am on Monday.

I suggest using the 'add and run' for the report in case you need to widen the scope of the report period.

Note: the reporting period is restricted to the amount of data that you retain in AMP, double check your historical data retention values on AMP Setup -> General tab.  For clients, the key data points are client association (default 2 weeks) and inactive client (default 2 months).

• 8.  RE: AP historical client data

Posted Oct 08, 2013 12:55 PM

This is awesome. Thank you!

• 9.  RE: AP historical client data

Posted Oct 08, 2013 01:10 PM

Works great thanks!