Wireless Access

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor I

AP mounting underneath the cable tray

Hello folks,

Based on your experience is it acceptable to mount APs underneath the cable tray? 

The open ceiling is heavily installed with HVAC and the cable tray is the lowest point which provide the direct LoS between AP and the end users.

Thank you

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super Contributor I

Re: AP mounting underneath the cable tray

Mounting under is definetly better than putting it in the cable tray. Metal is a reflective surface when it comes to wifi. If this is your best option for mounting in that area, it shouldn't cause too many issues. On downtilt APs, some of the RF comes out the back of the AP (in this case hitting your cable tray). If you have a way to mount it on the cable tray try offsetting the mount by about a foot from the tray. Another good option would be to use a threaded down rod from the ceiling to get it below the ceiling obstacles.

Dustin Burns
Senior Mobility and Access Engineer @WEI
ACMX#509 | ACCP | ACSA | ACDA | ACEA | CCNP | CCDP | CCNA Wireless

If my post address your queries, give kudos and accept as solution!

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Super Contributor I

Re: AP mounting underneath the cable tray

Mounting under is definetly better than putting it in the cable tray. Metal is a reflective surface when it comes to wifi. If this is your best option for mounting in that area, it shouldn't cause too many issues. On downtilt APs, some of the RF comes out the back of the AP (in this case hitting your cable tray). If you have a way to mount it on the cable tray try offsetting the mount by about a foot from the tray. Another good option would be to use a threaded down rod from the ceiling to get it below the ceiling obstacles.

Dustin Burns
Senior Mobility and Access Engineer @WEI
ACMX#509 | ACCP | ACSA | ACDA | ACEA | CCNP | CCDP | CCNA Wireless

If my post address your queries, give kudos and accept as solution!

View solution in original post

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: