Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

AP not ICMP reachable after an upgrade

This thread has been viewed 14 times
  • 1.  AP not ICMP reachable after an upgrade

Posted Apr 11, 2018 04:30 AM

Hi,

We changed our controller from a 3400 to a cluster of 7200 and now our APs are not reachable from our Nagios server (icmp)

I read some chats and the problem is a routing issue link to a secure tunnel for the management so it's why

The controller ping all APs (remote and routed IP) and locally within the same network I can ping it.

now my problem is how I can solve it, because I checked all ACLs and all seems well configured.

Regards

• 2.  RE: AP not ICMP reachable after an upgrade

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 11, 2018 07:29 AM

Do your access points have static ip addresses?

• 3.  RE: AP not ICMP reachable after an upgrade

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 11, 2018 07:51 AM

To make a long story short, with security enabled, the access point will respond to all traffic that is not on its own subnet through the controller.  Please see here:  https://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Controller-Based-WLANs/How-does-AP-s-respond-to-ICMP-traffic-when-CPSEC-is-enabled/ta-p/253025

Pinging is honestly not a reliable method of understanding if an access point is functioning or not, because an access point can have an ip address but not be functioning.

• 4.  RE: AP not ICMP reachable after an upgrade

Posted Apr 18, 2018 05:01 AM

No the AP is using DHCP and after i know that's it's not a reliable solution so if I can't manage them from a Nagios server (icmp check) ?

How I can check that an AP is working/down or not ? smtp alert from controlers ? snmp alert ?

a solution to solve the routing issue ?

Others solution by checking the controler mib ?

Regards

• 5.  RE: AP not ICMP reachable after an upgrade

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 18, 2018 05:19 AM

The controller will send SNMP traps when access points are up and down, so that is probably a good way to monitor to with an SNMP device, instead of polling.  Type "show snmp trap-queue" on the commandline controller to see what traps are being sent out. 

The routing issue will not be solved, because the access point does not expect to receive traffic from any other device besides the controller.

The best way to monitor access points is Airwave:  http://www.arubanetworks.com/products/networking/management/airwave/