Wireless Access

last person joined: 22 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

AP not discovering master via DHCP options

This thread has been viewed 15 times
  • 1.  AP not discovering master via DHCP options

MVP
    Posted Oct 05, 2017 09:58 AM

Hi Community,

Having an odd problem, we are using an Infoblox server for DHCP of our APs. These APs are at a remote site over an MPLS connection back to the controller. If we hard code the APs with the master IP, it phone's home and comes up no problem. If we use DHCP options, it shows master IP as blank. In Infoblox, this is what we set:

Option 43 (Vendor Encapsulated Option): <master's ip address>

Option 46 (Netbios Node Type): 8

Option 60 (Vendor Class ID): Aruba AP

Option 42 (NTP servers): <ntp server ip>

Option 2 (Time Offset): -5

Option 4 (Time Servers): <ntp servers again> --Not sure why this is used twice

When the AP boots, we have a DHCP reservation for the MAC address, so we know it gets the correct IP and DHCP options, however, it still shows "Master is...." and it's blank. We won't be able to hard code the larger sites, so I'm not sure why this isn't working right.

AP is 335 I believe and controller is running 6.5.1.5 or 6.5.1.7. We also have over 200 available AP licenses.

In the controller's system logs, I don't see the AP even check in unless we hard code the master's IP.

Any ideas or known issues that i've missed?

Thanks.

• 2.  RE: AP not discovering master via DHCP options

MVP
    Posted Oct 05, 2017 10:07 AM

May have identified the problem. There is a space in the Option 60 entry for Aruba AP. Should be set to "ArubaAP" with no space.

Just to make sure I do my due dilligence, any known issues with AP-335 and DHCP options or master discovery?