Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

AP on ceiling void RF transmit best practice?

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  AP on ceiling void RF transmit best practice?

Posted Aug 30, 2020 04:06 AM

Hello, i would like to ask, i am gonna deploy an AP above the ceiling (on the void). What is the best practice for RF transmit power and rate? I couldn't find any reference for that. Besides that, any other configuration should i apply? Thank you.

• 2.  RE: AP on ceiling void RF transmit best practice?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 30, 2020 06:33 AM

Try to avoid deploying access points above the ceiling.  Wireless clients depend on line-of-sight with the access points to achieve the highest performance.  If this is an area of great high client density, performance is even more important to maintain.

If you must deploy above the ceiling, please be aware of the RF attenuation here:  https://community.arubanetworks.com/aruba/attachments/aruba/tkb@tkb/121/1/RF-Basics_Part1.pdf

• 3.  RE: AP on ceiling void RF transmit best practice?

Posted Aug 30, 2020 06:47 AM

Sadly the APs have to be deployed above the ceiling because of building management. The client density is normal and I'm gonna use AP-515. Do you have any recommendation for transmit power other than the usual recommended 15-18 & 6-9 dBm? Is there any other configuration parameter that i should take note?

Thank you

• 4.  RE: AP on ceiling void RF transmit best practice?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 30, 2020 06:59 AM

There is no specific recommendation for transmit power for APs deployed above the ceiling beyond "don't do it".  The material in the ceiling is variable you would have to survey the AP above the ceiling to determine the optimum transmit power.  I would consult your local Aruba representative for more specific information.