Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

AP preconfigure and use with different Mobility Controller, is it possible?

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  AP preconfigure and use with different Mobility Controller, is it possible?

Posted Mar 18, 2018 03:58 PM

I need to convert and preconfigure a lot of IAPs to campus mode and make them to join to a remote controller. After this they will be installed on many sites, every site will contain 1 router and a couple of APs. Every AP will join to the same controller. The routers are preconfigured, and grant L3 connection between the APs and controller through VPN tunnel.

Now the conversion is very slow through VPN, so I wondering about to make it faster.

To make the preconfiguration more fast I wondering about install a small temporary controller on the configuration site with the same IP address and ArubaOS version as the final, and prepare the APs by that. Is it work, if I prepare the APs by the temporary controller, will the APs join to the final controller with the same IP address after install on sites?

I have no access for routers and central controller, only for APs.

Thanks!

• 2.  RE: AP preconfigure and use with different Mobility Controller, is it possible?
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 18, 2018 07:03 PM

In theory, you could do this.  The most time-consuming part is actually doing the conversion.  If you made the largest cluster possible, you could convert all of the APs in an Instant cluster at a time, to save time.  If where you are staging the cluster is routable to the destination controller, you could just use the production controller to convert the cluster...

• 3.  RE: AP preconfigure and use with different Mobility Controller, is it possible?

Posted Mar 19, 2018 06:56 AM

Okay, sounds good. I was afraid the certs would attach the AP to the controller that was converted if the IP address of the controller did not change.

I will try it, if I can get a temporary controller. Worth a try!

Thanks! :)

• 4.  RE: AP preconfigure and use with different Mobility Controller, is it possible?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 19, 2018 07:07 AM

If you do not have CPSEC enabled on the staging controller, that would take less time.   The APS would still have to connect to the new controller and obtain a certificate from it, anyways; better to leave CPSEC off on the staging controller so that access points do not have to take a long time during the conversion.  Please test before you deploy.