Wireless Access

last person joined: 21 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

AP rebooted Thu Feb 27 05:41:57 PST 2014: SAPD: Unable to contact switch. Called by sapd_hello_cb:4

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  AP rebooted Thu Feb 27 05:41:57 PST 2014: SAPD: Unable to contact switch. Called by sapd_hello_cb:4

Posted Feb 27, 2014 08:52 AM

I'm testing in the lab for my project but running into a problem, The controller is connected to our internal core on the core's network. I  setup the distribution switch to be a DHCP server (the network the AP connects to is different from what the controller to core's network is). I connected an AP to the core switch as a test to see if the AP is reachable and able to communicate with lms-IP and  I did that successfully. When I connect it to the distribution switch, the AP receives it's IP address from the switch (as it shout) it can communicate with the core and controller (on the core to controller network) but cannot communicate with the lms-IP and the AP reboots after about 5 minutes. I did a "show log system 50" and receive the following:

Feb 27 08:34:20 :303022:  <WARN> |AP d8:c7:c8:c1:c6:dd@128.155.240.131 nanny|  Reboot Reason: AP rebooted Thu Feb 27 05:33:27 PST 2014: SAPD: Unable to contact switch. Called by sapd_hello_cb:4
    Feb 27 08:34:24 :305006:  <INFO> |stm|  AP d8:c7:c8:c1:c6:dd rebooted
    Feb 27 08:34:24 :305008:  <INFO> |stm|  AP d8:c7:c8:c1:c6:dd redirected to 172.30.0.17.

Can someone give me some insight to why the AP is communicating with the lms-IP?

Is it the dhcp server I configured on the distribution switch?

• 2.  RE: AP rebooted Thu Feb 27 05:41:57 PST 2014: SAPD: Unable to contact switch. Called by sapd_hello_cb:4

Posted Feb 27, 2014 09:23 AM

Can the controller route back to the core VLAN that the AP is on?   You say the AP can contact the switch and controller, how are you testing the communication with the controller from the AP?

Can the controller ping other devices on the same VLAN as the AP?

• 3.  RE: AP rebooted Thu Feb 27 05:41:57 PST 2014: SAPD: Unable to contact switch. Called by sapd_hello_cb:4

Posted Feb 27, 2014 10:04 AM

The core and controller are connected on the same vlan (lets say vlan 2, it's a .0 network subnet /27). The core IP address on vlan 2 ends in a .1, and I configured the svi for vlan 2 on the controller ends in a .11. The AP that works, is connected to vlan 2 and I can connect to the AP and the lab wireless network.

Now the distribution switch (lets say vlan 3 it's a .128 network subnet /27) can ping the controller, another switch on vlan 2, and the core. I configured the distribution switch as a DHCP server so the AP connected to vlan 3 can receive an IP address. The AP receives it's IP address, but the AP cannot communicate with the lms-IP on the controller.

I'm testing communication between controller and AP via pings to the core, another switch on vlan 2, and the distribution switch (vlan 3)

Yes, the controller can ping other devices on the same VLAN as the AP and the distribution switch (vlan 3) and the AP (when actual up) connected to vlan 3. The problem is the AP on vlan 3 stays up for 5 minutes and reboots.

FYI: In the lab I have a DNS server and ACS server all reachable from vlan 2 and 3.