Wireless Access

last person joined: 21 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

AP's not connecting to controller

This thread has been viewed 4 times
  • 1.  AP's not connecting to controller

Posted Dec 21, 2011 08:34 AM

Hi Guys,

I have some AP's on a customer site that are attempting to connect back to a master controller at a different location, (different country actually!).

The console output shows the AP getting an address and finding the controller but then i get an error, can someone advise the likely issue here?

Controller address: xx.xx.xx.xx

Using eth0 device:

TFTP from server xx.xx.xx.xx: our IP address is xx.xx.xx.xx: sedning through gateway xx.xx.xx.xx

Filename 'mips32.ari'

Load address: 0x2000000

Loading: "

TFTP error: 'File not found' (1)

Giving up...

apboot>

Thanks,

Dave

• 2.  RE: AP's not connecting to controller

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 21, 2011 08:37 AM

What model APs are these and what version of ArubaOS code is on the controller?  That message means that you have a controller whose code is too old to support the APs that are trying to terminate on it.

• 3.  RE: AP's not connecting to controller

Posted Dec 21, 2011 08:52 AM

Hi,

The AP's are AP105's and the master controller is on OS V5.0.4.2

Thanks,
    Dave

• 4.  RE: AP's not connecting to controller

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 21, 2011 08:57 AM

Is that the only AP105 with the issue?  Can you boot it locally somewhere to get its image, first?

• 5.  RE: AP's not connecting to controller

Posted Dec 21, 2011 09:19 AM

Well there are 8 105's and none of them are coming up so i guess they all have the same issue. They are currently in Vietnam and i doubt they can send them back to the UK to get the image.

Is there any other way around this?

• 6.  RE: AP's not connecting to controller

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 21, 2011 09:23 AM

Sounds to me like someone is blocking or throttling your TFTP connection.

Is it coming through a VPN? If not, in a pinch you could set up a VPN, just to get things going.

• 7.  RE: AP's not connecting to controller

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 21, 2011 09:25 AM

If TFTP was blocked, the AP would get a timeout, not a "file not found" message.  If it was throttled, at least there would be some "T" message that indicate transmission errors.  So I don't think it is either.

• 8.  RE: AP's not connecting to controller

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 21, 2011 09:30 AM

@cjoseph wrote:

If TFTP was blocked, the AP would get a timeout, not a "file not found" message.  If it was throttled, at least there would be some "T" message that indicate transmission errors.  So I don't think it is either.

True. I was able to find a similar situation someone had on the old airheads forums via a search engine, but alas you can no longer get to the post:  https://airheads.arubanetworks.com/vBulletin/archive/index.php/t-2563.html

I can't search for it either.

• 9.  RE: AP's not connecting to controller

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 21, 2011 09:25 AM

Oh, that brings up another good question. Are other AP-105 working on that controller? Is the Vietnam location the only one having these issues?

• 10.  RE: AP's not connecting to controller

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 21, 2011 09:23 AM

If you are absolutely sure that controller has ArubaOS 5.0.4.2, please open a support case.

• 11.  RE: AP's not connecting to controller

Posted Dec 21, 2011 09:29 AM

Check the AP system profile that is being used.  Does it point the APs to a Host controller IP or name?  If so, that tells the AP where to go get its image from.  If that IP is incorrect, the AP would not find its image and give you that error.  The host controller ip/name should be the controller itself (or any controller with an image that supports the AP-105s).