Wireless Access

last person joined: 18 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

AP upgrading with VRRP

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  AP upgrading with VRRP

Posted Jun 12, 2014 11:41 AM
    I have new AP 175s getting installed. They come up and start to upgrade from the master in a master standby configuration. then the AP reboots for failed upgrade and the process starts again. But if I break VRRP the APs come up on the standby, upgrades and I can then provision the AP, bring the VRRP back up and the master will see the new APs and the clients can connect. Has anyone seen this issue?
    Running 6.1.4.5

• 2.  RE: AP upgrading with VRRP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 12, 2014 02:19 PM

Is there a firewall between the access points and the controller?

• 3.  RE: AP upgrading with VRRP

Posted Jun 12, 2014 08:26 PM

Cjoseph

no there is not. APs are on a Nortel 5520 stacked and the controllers are on the same stack.

• 4.  RE: AP upgrading with VRRP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 12, 2014 08:46 PM

Do you know which ip address the devices are really pointing to?

• 5.  RE: AP upgrading with VRRP

Posted Jun 12, 2014 08:52 PM

AP group LMS IP is the Controller VRRP Address.

• 6.  RE: AP upgrading with VRRP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 12, 2014 08:59 PM

@jkallansrud wrote:
    I have new AP 175s getting installed. They come up and start to upgrade from the master in a master standby configuration. then the AP reboots for failed upgrade and the process starts again. But if I break VRRP the APs come up on the standby, upgrades and I can then provision the AP, bring the VRRP back up and the master will see the new APs and the clients can connect. Has anyone seen this issue?
    Running 6.1.4.5

Here is your problem:  If access points are in the same VLAN as the controller, they will send out an ADP broadcast and either or both controllers can answer.  The problem is that if the standby answers, and it can...the standby will not be able to process any access points if it is not the master.  Access points that discover it, will just be stuck on it and not do anything

Try this:

If you have your aruba-master DNS entry in place, try putting the access points on a different subnet so that the broadcasts cannot be seen by the controllers, but instead it uses DNS to discover the VRRP address.  OR, you can turn off ADP responses on both controllers so that when access points are in the same subnet they try to find the controller using the DNS address, instead of broadcasts.  Here is how you turn off ADP responses on the master and standby controllers:

config t
    adp discovery disable
    adp igmp-join disable

• 7.  RE: AP upgrading with VRRP

Posted Jun 12, 2014 09:09 PM

Cjoseph

We are using option 43 in the local DHCP server. I am unable to create a DSN entry as I have over 300 Controllers in the domain.

I will turn off ADP on the standby and see if that will work.