Wireless Access

last person joined: 14 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

AP105 Hard Coded IP address is not used when DHCP server is available

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  AP105 Hard Coded IP address is not used when DHCP server is available

Posted Apr 26, 2012 08:05 PM

Hello,

I am trying to deploy AP105s for remote location.

What I need to do is to hard-code AP's IP address by following steps:

1. Connect serial cable with 9600-8-N-1 to AP105's CONSOLE Port.

2. Power on AP105.

3. When "Hit <Enter> to stop autoboot:  0" is displayed, hit enter.

4. Enter following parameters:
    apboot> setenv ipaddr 172.200.210.110

apboot>setenv netmask 255.255.255.0

apboot>setenv gateway 172.200.210.1

apboot>setenv master 172.200.210.89   (This is the Controller's IP address where this AP initially points to)

apboot>save

apboot>reset

During boot process, I observed what IP address was assigned to this AP.

172.200.210.100 255.255.255.0 172.200.210.1
    Running ADP...Done. Master is 172.200.210.89

Even though I set hard-coded IP address 172.200.210.110,

this AP chose DHCP-assigned IP address 172.200.210.100.

I know we can set 172.200.210.110 on AP Installation - Provision screen,

but I just want to know why DHCP-assigned IP address overrides hard-coded IP address.

I guess there is a method to prioritise hard-coded IP address,but I don't know.

If anyone knows the best practice to hard-code IP address and ship them to the remote location for deployment,

much appreciate your help.

• 2.  RE: AP105 Hard Coded IP address is not used when DHCP server is available
    Best Answer

Posted Apr 26, 2012 08:26 PM
    set gatewayip not gateway

regards
    kevin zhu

• 3.  RE: AP105 Hard Coded IP address is not used when DHCP server is available

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 26, 2012 09:00 PM

In addition, after save, type "boot" not reset.

• 4.  RE: AP105 Hard Coded IP address is not used when DHCP server is available

Posted Apr 26, 2012 10:15 PM

Hi Kevinzhu and cjoseph,

Thanks for your support. Since I left lab site already, I will test tomorrow and update what would be observed.

I was impressed with the option "boot" - usually, even in Aruba's educational materials, "purge-save-reset" is the only phrase I have seen ..

My goal is to memorize fixed IP address on non-voratile memory (if this sort is exist in AP) in AP105.

I experienced when I set up one AP-105 using AP Installation - Provision option, the options I set (AP name, IP address, etc) was memorized for a day or so. There was one AP105 that I left for 3 weeks and found that this AP105 forgot his AP name and IP address.

Therefore, I am thinking AP105 does not have NVRAM or Flash Memory, only thing AP105 might has is capacitor-held memory (capacitor's remaining electricity holds memory contents)

Do you know if AP105 has NVRAM or Flash memory? If so, "save" option saves the parameter into memory?

Also, if you know the extended parameters to set, not only for ipaddr/netmask/gatewayip/master/server, but also AP name, AP group name , building /location, LMS IP address, LMS Backup IP address, preemption?

• 5.  RE: AP105 Hard Coded IP address is not used when DHCP server is available

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 26, 2012 10:18 PM

@mikek8877 wrote:

Hi Kevinzhu and cjoseph,

Thanks for your support. Since I left lab site already, I will test tomorrow and update what would be observed.

I was impressed with the option "boot" - usually, even in Aruba's educational materials, "purge-save-reset" is the only phrase I have seen ..

My goal is to memorize fixed IP address on non-voratile memory (if this sort is exist in AP) in AP105.

I experienced when I set up one AP-105 using AP Installation - Provision option, the options I set (AP name, IP address, etc) was memorized for a day or so. There was one AP105 that I left for 3 weeks and found that this AP105 forgot his AP name and IP address.

Therefore, I am thinking AP105 does not have NVRAM or Flash Memory, only thing AP105 might has is capacitor-held memory (capacitor's remaining electricity holds memory contents)

Do you know if AP105 has NVRAM or Flash memory? If so, "save" option saves the parameter into memory?

Also, if you know the extended parameters to set, not only for ipaddr/netmask/gatewayip/master/server, but also AP name, AP group name , building /location, LMS IP address, LMS Backup IP address, preemption?

Everything should be saved permanently except for the LMS, Backup LMS and Preemption.  Those are obtained by the AP when it connects to the controller.

• 6.  RE: AP105 Hard Coded IP address is not used when DHCP server is available

Posted Apr 27, 2012 08:08 AM

After you configure the AP the first time, stop the boot again and type "print" (short for printenv).  Do you see the parameters for IP/gw/subnet mask?  If not, they were not saved properly.  If so, there is something else wrong.

I don't have the AP name and other parameters in front of me right now.   You can always provision an AP from the GUI, then go back and boot it, break the boot, type print and see all of the saved info and the variable name(s).

• 7.  RE: AP105 Hard Coded IP address is not used when DHCP server is available

Posted Apr 27, 2012 09:25 AM

Hello everyone,

Thank you very much for your time and support.

Regarding my initial symptom, I chose Kevin chu's post as a solution.

When I entered

apboot>gateway 172.200.210.1

then confirmed with

apboot>printenv

gateway=172.200.210.1 is displayed. But this paramater was not accepted by AP105.

Below is the right sequence (Tested in my lab) to set hard coded IP address in AP105:

1. Connect serial cable with 9600-8-N-1 to AP105's CONSOLE Port.

2. Power on AP105.

3. When "Hit <Enter> to stop autoboot:  0" is displayed, hit enter.

4. Enter following parameters:

apboot>setenv ipaddr 172.200.210.110

apboot>setenv netmask 255.255.255.0

apboot>setenv gatewayip 172.200.210.1

apboot>setenv master 172.200.210.89   (This is the Controller's IP address where this AP initially points to)

apboot>save

apboot>reset or boot (With my experiment, the result was same)

5. During the boot, when "Hit <Enter> to stop autoboot:  0" is displayed, hit enter.

6. Enter the following parameters to confirm the parameters:

apboot>printenv

ipaddr=172.200.210.110

netmask=255.255.255.0

gatewayip=172.200.210.1

master=172.200.210.89

7. Reboot the AP.

apboot>reset or boot