Wireless Access

last person joined: 8 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

AP105 - Range increase

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  AP105 - Range increase

Posted May 29, 2013 12:34 PM
      |   view attached

Hello,

I'm pretty new in networking, but got this little thing to figure out.

So my appologizes if I ask ' newb ' questions, but I can't find it anywhere so you guy's are my last hope.

Currently we are operating several Aruba AP-105 access points, which is doing great.

The thing is, this access point is not covering the whole area which we need too.

I have read stuff like increasing it with an atenna or increase it with another AP.

But before I got to that final step, I'm wondering if in the admin panel the range could be increased by just a single button.

It's operating at 5Ghz. Any more technical answers like db or mhz is hard to answer. So please if you got a possible solution answer in easy steps so even a child of 4 could understand.

So desciption in short; is it possible to increase the network coverage (range) from the AP-105 with a simple button switch or adjustment in the settings of the administration panel?

Thanks in advance.

Bjorn

• 2.  RE: AP105 - Range increase

Posted May 29, 2013 12:41 PM

in my personal option (and assuming a normal setup), no there is no such magic button. if you require more coverage get more APs.

• 3.  RE: AP105 - Range increase

Posted May 29, 2013 02:26 PM

Hi Boneyard,

Thanks for your reply, after looking around on the internet they said that there is a difference (of course there is) between 2,4 and 5Ghz. The 2,4Ghz should give more range.

Can you confirm this, and maybe tell me how I could change that in the settings?

• 4.  RE: AP105 - Range increase

Posted May 29, 2013 02:31 PM

regarding your question on what band to use: *please read the following info*

http://www.wireless-nets.com/resources/tutorials/choose_802.11n_spectrum.html

The GHz range of a wireless radio is only partially related to the speed of a wireless network. For example, 802.11a wireless operates at 5GHz and 802.11g at 2.4GHz, but both support the same maximum data rate of 54 Mbps. However, newer 802.11n routers have the capability of simultaneous dual-band operation on both 5GHz and 2.4GHz ranges, allowing clients to connect on different bands for more flexibility and less interference. 802.11ac expands on that, running entirely in the 5GHz band.

Advantages of 5GHz:
    The 5GHz band is less likely to be congested. The 2.4GHz frequency range is much more prone to interference, as it is commonly used by other wireless networks in the area, as well as cordless phones, garage door openers and other home appliances and consumer products. The 5GHz band can also offer much higher throughput (using the right technology) with the same channel width.

Disadvantages of 5GHz:
    In general, the higher the frequency of a wireless signal, the shorter its range. Thus, 2.4GHz networks cover a substantially larger range than 5GHz wireless networks. In particular, the higher frequency wireless signals of 5GHz networks do not penetrate solid objects nearly as well as 2.4GHz signals, limiting their reach inside homes. Recent 802.11ac devices may be able to mitigate some of this disatvantage by using beamforming.

The Bottom Line:
    5GHz and 2.4GHz are simply different frequencies, each with its advantages and disadvantages. To get the best of both worlds, some recent routers have the capability for dual-band operation in both ranges simultaneously. 5GHz offers higher throughput at a shorter distance, while 2.4GHz offers increased coverage and higher solid object penetration.

Note: When choosing the band for your router, it is also important to consider the capabilities of your wireless clients. Most current laptops and other mobile wireless devices work in the 2.4GHz band, while media streaming devices have increasingly better adoption in the 5GHz band. The migration to wider adoption of 5GHz will probably continue with the shift to the higher throughput 802.11ac.

read a bit about the diffrence between 2.4 to 5:

http://www.macworld.com/article/1140685/wifi_spectrumbands.html

• 5.  RE: AP105 - Range increase

Posted May 29, 2013 04:55 PM

I'll add that the other most important thing to consider is the end-use device.

If you're supporting laptops or iPads you'll have somewhat different frequency and power requirements.

If a client only supports 30mw, boosting power or dB at the AP won't help much -- the AP will yell, but the client will whisper, and may not be heard by the AP.

• 6.  RE: AP105 - Range increase

Posted May 29, 2013 02:28 PM

Hi,

:smileyhappy:

The maximum transmit power of AP105 units is 100MW in 2.4ghz and 200MGZ in 5.0ghz

as far as i see it , you got 3 OPTIONS:

• use 104 units with different ant type that will answer on your coverage / throughput needs.
    • Deploy more AP'S
    • deploy units after doing site survey (passive with visual rf..and even active if needed)

please read the following AirHeads posts to understand better:

http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Access-Points/Transmit-Power-question/td-p/8270

http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Access-Points/Adjust-AP-Power-Level/td-p/7419

regards.:smileywink:

Me

• 7.  RE: AP105 - Range increase

Posted May 29, 2013 05:32 PM

Woah guys, thanks for all the information!

I'll look into it tomorrow, bed-time over here..

I will come back to you shortly.