Wireless Access

last person joined: 15 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

AP124 and AP-LAR-1 Lightning Resistor

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  AP124 and AP-LAR-1 Lightning Resistor

Posted Apr 11, 2012 09:34 AM

Do we need to get another part to make the AP-LAR-1 lightning resistor fit our AP124 access points? The connector on the AP is much smaller than the connector on the lightning resistor but they both are "N" type connectors according to the manuals. We will be installing an AP-Ant-9 directional antenna on the access points and installing them outside of the building which is why we were sold the lightning resistors by our vendor.

• 2.  RE: AP124 and AP-LAR-1 Lightning Resistor

Posted Apr 11, 2012 10:17 AM

I'm thinking we may not have been sold the proper equipment.

We need an access point on one corner of our school building to send a directional signal out to the football stadium press box and acting as a bridge for the remote access point. The distance is roughly 100 yards. The press box will have an access point in side that will provide wifi coverage for the bleacher area and the press box.

Right now I have AP105 and AP124 access points, some AP-LAR-1 lightning resistors, and an AP-ANT-9 directional antenna. Can I make this work with the current equipment or do I need to look in to purchasing something else? It sounds like the AP124 is not meant to have an outside antenna and is for indoor use only. Does this count if we have the AP inside and the antenna ran through the wall and mounted on the outside of the building?

• 3.  RE: AP124 and AP-LAR-1 Lightning Resistor

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 11, 2012 08:09 PM

It's not unusual to use an indoor AP mounted inside in combination with an antenna outdoors. A single AP-ANT-9 antenna is certainly not sufficient in combination with an AP-124; you'll need three of these, since AP-124 is a 3x3 device.

BTW, another reason for this antenna to be a bad choice for the AP-124 is that the antenna supports 2.4GHz, while the antennas I suggested in my other post are dual-band capable (as are the antenna interfaces on the AP-124).

• 4.  RE: AP124 and AP-LAR-1 Lightning Resistor

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 11, 2012 08:02 PM

The AP-124 uses (female) RP-SMA connectors, while the AP-LAR-1 connects to a (female) N-type connector. The AP-ANT-9 antenna has a (male) RP-SMA connector, and can attach directly to the AP-124, but if you want to use the surge arrestor in between, you'll need several adapters.

First, are you sure a lightning surge arrestor is needed? Unless the antennas are exposed and/or you're installing them in an area where lightning is common, you may not need these. If you do need to use arrestors with this AP and antenna, you may be better off looking for an RP-SMA style arrestor. Aruba doesn't offer these, but they can be found elsewhere.

Also, why are you using AP-ANT-9 with the 3x3 MIMO AP-124? AP-ANT-17 or -18 are a much better fit when sector coverage is needed with this AP model. You'll need just one of these antennas per AP (they integrate 3 antenna elements for 3x3 operation), while you would need 3x AP-ANT-9 per AP.

Finally, if 120 degree sector coverage is ok (AP-ANT-9 is 90 degrees), you could consider using AP-ANT-92, which is equivalent to AP-ANT-17, but has N-type connectors, so they can connect directly to the AP-ANT-LAR devices (you'll still need adapters between the AP and arrestor though).

• 5.  RE: AP124 and AP-LAR-1 Lightning Resistor

Posted Apr 12, 2012 11:06 AM

@oharms wrote:

The AP-124 uses (female) RP-SMA connectors, while the AP-LAR-1 connects to a (female) N-type connector. The AP-ANT-9 antenna has a (male) RP-SMA connector, and can attach directly to the AP-124, but if you want to use the surge arrestor in between, you'll need several adapters.

First, are you sure a lightning surge arrestor is needed? Unless the antennas are exposed and/or you're installing them in an area where lightning is common, you may not need these. If you do need to use arrestors with this AP and antenna, you may be better off looking for an RP-SMA style arrestor. Aruba doesn't offer these, but they can be found elsewhere.

Also, why are you using AP-ANT-9 with the 3x3 MIMO AP-124? AP-ANT-17 or -18 are a much better fit when sector coverage is needed with this AP model. You'll need just one of these antennas per AP (they integrate 3 antenna elements for 3x3 operation), while you would need 3x AP-ANT-9 per AP.

Finally, if 120 degree sector coverage is ok (AP-ANT-9 is 90 degrees), you could consider using AP-ANT-92, which is equivalent to AP-ANT-17, but has N-type connectors, so they can connect directly to the AP-ANT-LAR devices (you'll still need adapters between the AP and arrestor though).

This is what the vendor that my boss used spec'd out for our needs based on our drawings. I will look in to those parts that you mentioned and see if we can possibly do an exchange. If not, I can always find a spot for the equipment we already have purchase what we really need. Thanks for your help and suggestions.