Wireless Access

last person joined: 20 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

AP13x -> IAP13x conversion

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  AP13x -> IAP13x conversion

Posted Dec 13, 2011 08:49 AM

Hi,

I suppose that there is no technical limitations - AP13x has enough memory/flash. Is it possible to boot AP13x with IAP Cassiopeia release? Will it work? 

Many thanks,

Marek

• 2.  RE: AP13x -> IAP13x conversion

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 13, 2011 08:56 AM

Even if it is possible, I'm not sure it is "supported."

But it would be pretty cool if it was. :robothappy:

• 3.  RE: AP13x -> IAP13x conversion

Posted Dec 13, 2011 08:58 AM

It is enough that it work - it is for lab/test purposes only....

• 4.  RE: AP13x -> IAP13x conversion

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 14, 2011 06:22 AM

No, it is not possible.

Only an AP that starts life as an IAP can go back and forth.  Regular AP135 cannot be converted to an IAP.

• 5.  RE: AP13x -> IAP13x conversion

Posted Dec 16, 2011 07:02 AM

Hi cjoseph,

I see that it is completely true regarding 105, but AP13x has a reset button and enough flash/memory for IAP code. I suppose, that Aruba uses the same hardware for AP and IAP to cut costs. So there should be method to load and run IAP code Cassiopeia on this vanilla AP. I see it won't be supported at all, but as I stated it is only for test purposes...

Regards,

• 6.  RE: AP13x -> IAP13x conversion

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 16, 2011 08:21 AM

I do not see a reset button on my AP13x.  I am not sure what you have.  The AP13x and IAP13x are definitely different pieces of hardware, even if slightly, due to regulatory reasons.

• 7.  RE: AP13x -> IAP13x conversion

Posted Dec 16, 2011 08:49 AM

There you go - I am pretty sure that it is... DSC00004.JPG

• 8.  RE: AP13x -> IAP13x conversion

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 16, 2011 09:01 AM

Yes, and I think I can also see a spaceship, but I don't know if it can fly ;)

Seriously, I don't know if that is a reset button, but I know it is designed purposely so that users cannot load the software on an AP13x due to regulatory restrictions.  

• 9.  RE: AP13x -> IAP13x conversion

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 16, 2011 09:11 AM

That is in fact a reset button. It is listed in the AP-13x setup guide as a reset button. It is a physical way of doing a purge env.

From the guide:

Reset Button
    The reset button can be used to return the AP to factory default settings. To reset the AP:
    1. Power off the AP.
    2. Press and hold the reset button using a small, narrow object, such as a paperclip.
    3. Power-on the AP without releasing the reset button. The power LED will flash within 5 seconds.
    4. Release the reset button.
    The power LED will flash again within 15 seconds indicating that the reset is completed. The AP will now
    continue to boot with the factory default settings.

• 10.  RE: AP13x -> IAP13x conversion

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 16, 2011 09:13 AM

Yes, reset button, but you cannot get the IAP13x software on a regular AP13X device.  The reset button only clears it out.  The reset button on an IAP clears it out, AND runs the IAP software.

• 11.  RE: AP13x -> IAP13x conversion

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 16, 2011 09:20 AM

I agree with Colin. Just because they gave it the same reset button, doesn't mean it can be an IAP. They probably just wanted to use the same plastic case, and figured "What the hell. Let's give people an easier way of purging an AP!"

Personally, I wish all my APs had a reset button like that.

• 12.  RE: AP13x -> IAP13x conversion

Posted Dec 19, 2011 03:46 AM

Hmmm - I have loaded IAP code to vanilla AP135. It started, but worked as lunatic :) There was no 'instant' SSID, no APs reported in Virtual Controller, only admin/forgetme! worked and no possibility to change any config permanently. There were multuple messages 'turn off mobility' on serial console. Maybe wrong flash region was used for code or there were missing settings in flash.

br,

M

• 13.  RE: AP13x -> IAP13x conversion

Posted Dec 19, 2011 12:21 PM

AP13x has a different FCC regulatory certification framawork that IAP13x. If we load IAP13x software on AP13x hardware, it will not come up as software will not be able to identify which regulatory domain it belongs to. Radios will not be turned on if one runs Instant software on regular AP hardware

It is better to just order an IAP specific hardware.