Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

AP215 Roaming Issue

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  AP215 Roaming Issue

Posted Nov 29, 2016 01:23 PM

Situation: We have a student that uses a robot from home to interact with their classes. The campus has an AP215 in every classroom with 5ghz enabled on all and 2.4 ghz enabled on every other room. The robot drops wireless communication consistantly. It shows to be still connected just not communicating. If we disconnect it throught the cli it will reconnect and work correctly on the next AP. 

Testing: We had these robots at two other campuses working flawlessly. One campus has mostly 105's with a few 135's again in every room. No 2.4ghz disabled. The other campus is all AP225's in every room no 2.4ghz disabled. The robot works fine never loosing communication while roaming through halls. Took this robot back to those campuses and it worked flawlessly.

I took a few 225's I had laying around and placed them in 1/4 of the campus with issues and it resolved the issue. The problem is I would like to get the 215's to work as I do not have enough 225's to replace all the 215's in this one campus. Each campus has anywhere from 50 - 75 AP's

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Anthony

• 2.  RE: AP215 Roaming Issue

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 29, 2016 09:35 PM

- What band does the equipment operate on?

- How far apart are the access points?

- What is the transmit power of the access points?

- Is the wireless using encryption?  What type?

- What type of client is it?

• 3.  RE: AP215 Roaming Issue

Posted Nov 30, 2016 10:01 AM

- What band does the equipment operate on?

We have forced it on to 2.4 ghz to decrease the number of AP's it would try to roam too. 

- How far apart are the access points?

Access points are roughly 35-40 feet apart with 2.4ghz enabled AP's being 90-100 feet apart.

- What is the transmit power of the access points?

They are set at 12 right now.

- Is the wireless using encryption?  What type?

AES, we have it using a PSK SSID to decrease authentication time.

- What type of client is it?

It is a VGO robot. Not sure what else I can tell you about it. There are very little specs available. http://www.vgocom.com/

• 4.  RE: AP215 Roaming Issue

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 30, 2016 10:49 AM

90 to 100 feet apart is too far apart for access points, unless they are mounted 2 or 30 feet in the air with no obstructions (e.g. warehouse).  The signal on the client would get too low before attempting to roam.  If this is a classroom setting with walls or an office, 60 feet apart is the maximum that should be done for smooth roaming, really..