Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

AP225/AP335 AP-LACP-Striping-IP Configuration in Master/Master-Standby Setup

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  AP225/AP335 AP-LACP-Striping-IP Configuration in Master/Master-Standby Setup

Posted Aug 23, 2018 10:56 PM

I have a couple general questions about the AP-LACP-Striping-IP configuration on a Master and Standby/Master Controller(VRRP).

Under AP System Profile, I created a profile called LACP and added both the LMS-IP and BKUP-LMS-IP address, along with lms-preemption on the Master Controller. The same was done on the Standby/Master Controller.

Master WLC:               x.x.x.10

Standby/Master WLC: x.x.x.11

ap system-profile LACP

lms-ip x.x.x.10

bkup-lms-ip x.x.x.11

lms-preemption

On the Master WLC, I configured the following:

ap-lacp-striping-ip

striping-ip x.x.x.9 lms x.x.x.10

aplacp-enable

On the Standby/Master WLC, I have the following:

ap-lacp-striping-ip

aplacp-enable

First question: should the striping-ip on the Master WLC and Standby/Master be the same(x.x.x.9) or different?

Second question: If the address is the same, should the striping-ip address be reachable via ping from both WLCs?

I can ping the LMS, BK-LMS and VRRP IP. The striping-ip does not respond to ping on either controller. Although, I see entries in the show datapath tunnel between the AP IP address and the striping ip x.x.x.9.

Is that normal for the striping ip not to be reachable via icmp on either WLCs? 

Third question: On the switch side, eth0 and eth1 are in a port-channel(active). If I shutdown switchport uplink to eth1, the AP remains active and online. If I re-enable the port and then shutdown switchport uplink to eth0, the AP shuts down. Is that expected behavior? 

• 2.  RE: AP225/AP335 AP-LACP-Striping-IP Configuration in Master/Master-Standby Setup
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 25, 2018 11:55 AM

@anthony_l_brice wrote:

I have a couple general questions about the AP-LACP-Striping-IP configuration on a Master and Standby/Master Controller(VRRP).

Under AP System Profile, I created a profile called LACP and added both the LMS-IP and BKUP-LMS-IP address, along with lms-preemption on the Master Controller. The same was done on the Standby/Master Controller.

Master WLC:               x.x.x.10

Standby/Master WLC: x.x.x.11

ap system-profile LACP

lms-ip x.x.x.10

bkup-lms-ip x.x.x.11

lms-preemption

On the Master WLC, I configured the following:

ap-lacp-striping-ip

aplacp-enable

On the Standby/Master WLC, I have the following:

ap-lacp-striping-ip

aplacp-enable

First question: should the striping-ip on the Master WLC and Standby/Master be the same(x.x.x.9) or different?

For your configuration (master, backup master), you don't need to use LMS and backup LMS. Instead, the AP should be discovering the VRRP IP address and would use that as the master IP. Only one master can be available at a time, and the VRRP will follow the active master.

The Master and backup master should work fine using different IP striping addresses. I haven't found whether they can use the same striping IP, but will continue looking.

@anthony_l_brice Second question: If the address is the same, should the striping-ip address be reachable via ping from both WLCs?

I can ping the LMS, BK-LMS and VRRP IP. The striping-ip does not respond to ping on either controller. Although, I see entries in the show datapath tunnel between the AP IP address and the striping ip x.x.x.9.

Is that normal for the striping ip not to be reachable via icmp on either WLCs? 

The striping IP does not respond to ping.

@anthony_l_brice
    Third question: On the switch side, eth0 and eth1 are in a port-channel(active). If I shutdown switchport uplink to eth1, the AP remains active and online. If I re-enable the port and then shutdown switchport uplink to eth0, the AP shuts down. Is that expected behavior? 

On APs like the AP-225 that do not support POE redundancy, this is expected. When eth1 was shut down and the AP remained online, it shows that the AP was pulling power from eth0. When eth0 was shut down, the AP would need to restart in order to pull power from eth1. For the AP-335, I would not expect the AP to restart, assuming POE+ is available on both ethernet interfaces.

• 3.  RE: AP225/AP335 AP-LACP-Striping-IP Configuration in Master/Master-Standby Setup

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 25, 2018 12:04 PM

@cclemmer wrote:
    @anthony_l_brice

The Master and backup master should work fine using different IP striping addresses. I haven't found whether they can use the same striping IP, but will continue looking.

I found this in the CLI reference:

If your topology includes a backup controller you must define GRE striping IP settings in the active and the backup controller.

Because it's the ap-lacp-striping-ip is a local profile, I expect each controller should have it's own striping-ip configured.

• 4.  RE: AP225/AP335 AP-LACP-Striping-IP Configuration in Master/Master-Standby Setup

Posted Aug 25, 2018 10:48 PM

Perfect! Thanks for the info and for responding to my inquiries. 

So the striping IP should be different on each controller. Good to know. I'll update the controller configs and test.