Wireless Access

last person joined: 16 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

AP315 with USB Cellular Modem

This thread has been viewed 4 times
  • 1.  AP315 with USB Cellular Modem

MVP
    Posted Oct 08, 2018 04:16 PM

Anyone else using USB cellular modems on a AP315? We're testing some deployed on our shuttle buses. Our carrier is Sprint. I'm trying to set up some usage reports in Airwaves to keep tabs on the modems' data usage (as Spring throttles us once we hit a certain GB) -- while comparing it to what Sprint says we're using.

I'm finding "client session" data under the custom options for my report. But I cant seem to find something for ALL data (client data + AP talking to controllers + etc...). Is there a way to see/report ALL data going through that USB port to the modem? So far my tests reports are nowhere near what Sprints reports are saying.

• 2.  RE: AP315 with USB Cellular Modem

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 09, 2018 03:16 AM

In what mode are you running the AP315? Campus? RAP? Instant?

You may have a look at the Network Usage report which has max and average numbers on the total traffic for the device. This report can be exported to CSV and in Excel (or a Python or other script) you can sum up the averages and multiply by the interval which was 5 minutes or 300 seconds in my case:

Screen Shot 2018-10-09 at 9.12.41 AM.png

• 3.  RE: AP315 with USB Cellular Modem

MVP
    Posted Oct 09, 2018 10:38 AM

Thanks for your input. These are RAPs.

I am not too keen on summing up "averages" and "maxes" especialyl since the data is a mix of speeds. I was hopping to find a hard number. It doesnt seem too crazy to want to know the raw total amount of data that pumped through a port over a given time period, but apparently that's a report that isnt available.

• 4.  RE: AP315 with USB Cellular Modem
    Best Answer

MVP
    Posted Oct 10, 2018 11:24 AM

After playing around more I found a report that gives me better results for what I'm looking for. The option listed below generates a table in the report that has a column for "Total Data."

Device Summary: Most Utilized By Usage